You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/12/2023 7:51 am  #1

Osler Fire Tower Info

Looks like we will be back in the Birchcliffe Lake area this year. I have read in the log books at the cabin of failures and successes in trying to locate the Osler fire-tower. Just curious if anybody has any info they would be willing to pass along about locating the tower. Is any of it still intact? From what I understand it is still there just no longer standing.

I have tried to google search and looked at some old maps but have not been able to find much information on this at all. I have checked google maps to get an idea of where I think it may be. Any info would be greatly appreciated. If we are able to locate it, I will be sure to get some pictures and video to share with the group!!

Any other points of interest in the area?? let me know as well!

Thanks!!

Last edited by Knox On Woods (1/12/2023 4:33 pm)

Recent series on YouTube
https://youtu.be/qiAJQaeWFPw

1/12/2023 3:29 pm  #2

Re: Osler Fire Tower Info

I was able to find the tower marked on my Backroads 2020 map.  I can send you a copy of the map I  printed out if you PM with your email - no idea how to upload!  If you plug the coordinates into google it more or less matches the map location east of the lake.  N45° 56.097' W78° 48.410'

No idea how accurate the location on the backroads map is!

T

1/12/2023 3:33 pm  #3

I got an email from someone a while back who visited it. They told me that the MNR removed the bolts from the bottom and tipped it over. They found remains of the cupola (i.e. the top wooden cabin) too.

With respect to the location, they indicated that the placement on my map was quite accurate.

I make paddling maps! – MapsByJeff.com

1/12/2023 4:05 pm  #4

I should have just turned around and looked at "your" wall map in my office!  Locations match up!

T

1/12/2023 4:15 pm  #5

Awesome guys!! thanks for the info, with the maps and the coordinates I am almost positive we will find it. I will be sure to take some pictures and video of it, for anybody who is interested.

Jeff......Great news to hear there should still be some remains to find as well!! I use your map with the Avenza app so that should make things easy! Thanks for all you do !

Trevan....Did you actually visit the tower yourself based off the backroad map?  either way thank you!

Last edited by Knox On Woods (1/12/2023 4:36 pm)

Recent series on YouTube
https://youtu.be/qiAJQaeWFPw

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.