You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/04/2022 2:03 pm  #1

Ways to improve the taste of plain rice ...

When I hadn't prepared any dehydrated 'supplements' for my rice camp meals, I used to often fall back on Clover Leaf's 'Tuna in a Pouch'. This year I'm struck out trying to find it in local stores. However, I have come across another of their products call 'Bistro Bowls'. Weighing in at 170 grams, it's 'Spanish Medley' version is quite a moist mix of tuna, brown & black rice, veggies, beans, corn and red chili. 

Here it is, finally mixed in with my typical size helping of instant brown rice. In a pinch it could save a very bland meal. Has anyone come across similar solutions? 

9/04/2022 2:44 pm  #2

Re: Ways to improve the taste of plain rice ...

hey barry,,
     orange rice,,, i have made my rice with tang orange crystals instead of regular  water,, nice flavour  change for me,, 
   half cup of tang drink mix , half cup of rice is my serving portion,, apple juice is another option that i like

Last edited by swedish pimple (9/04/2022 2:45 pm)

9/05/2022 7:50 pm  #3

Hi Barry, for something new we tried Patak's Tikka Masala (https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/pataks-tikka-masala-sauce-for-two/6000188764627). We mixed it with whole wheat couscous (quicker than rice) and really enjoyed it. It is a tiny bit heavier due to some liquid content, but we figured it was worth it for a change. There are other flavours as well if you enjoy Indian food.
Cheers,
Rich

Last edited by hiker72 (9/05/2022 7:52 pm)

9/06/2022 7:40 am  #4

one camp favourite is chicken fried rice- boil up 2 cups of rice the same way you do it at home, while it's cooking add 1/4c dried corn, peas, and/or red peppers to a cup of boiling water, fry up an egg or two (chop them up as they cook in a heavily oiled pan (I use olive oil), pour the veggies in and add diced dried onion and garlic, and continue frying until the water is almost gone, add 2 oz soy sauce (I use 6-8 packets from a restaurant, about 2 cups of cooked, cubed chicken and the rice and mix well while simmering to remove any liquid from the rice, chicken and soy.
All measurements are approximate and can be changed for group size or to taste.
It takes 20 minutes to 1/2 hour and I've never had any complaints other than people wanting more...

9/09/2022 7:05 pm  #5

I always have at least a couple of Lipton soup packets in the hot drink bag - mostly for rainy/cold lunch stops.

12/28/2022 6:27 pm  #6

Another option is furikake. (foo-ree-kah-kay).

Japanese folks put it on white rice or brown rice to wake it up a bit and add flavour. You can get lots of different combinations. I like the simple combo of sesame seeds and nori strips(the seaweed that is used to wrap sushi maki rolls).

Some folks enjoy the type with tiny dried fish bits in it. If you prefer not to have MSG, there are some non-MSG varieties available. 

I bought some at C and C Chinese supermarket on Don Mills Road in toronto, but I'm sure you can get furikake in any Korean or Japanese food store.

From Wikipedia: Furikake (振り掛けふりかけ振掛け振掛) is a dry Japanese condiment[1][/url] to be sprinkled on top of cooked rice, vegetables, and fish, or used as an ingredient in onigiri. It typically consists of a mixture of dried fishsesame seeds, chopped seaweed, sugar, salt, and monosodium glutamate.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furikake#cite_note-Mouritsen-2][2][/url][url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furikake#cite_note-Ambrose-3][3][/url] Other flavorful ingredients such as katsuobushi (sometimes indicated on the package as bonito), or okaka (bonito flakesmoistened with soy sauce and dried again), freeze-dried salmon particles, shiso, egg, powdered miso and vegetables are often added to the mix.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furikake#cite_note-Ambrose-3][3]Furikake is often brightly colored and flaky. It can have a slight fish or seafood flavoring and may be spicy and/or sweet. It can be used in Japanese cooking for pickling foods and for rice balls (onigiri).

6/07/2023 9:29 am  #7

I'm sure everyone has their favourites, but in terms of flavour & cost nothing beats Cool Runnings Carribean Spice & roasted garlic. Add about 1-2 tablespoons (your preference) per cup of uncooked rice. I can't eat plain rice anymore.

You can get a big 800g container for $3.49, & this is even at Loblaws inflated prices. I mean, at this price it is practically free. I don't know how they can package that much spice, ship it around the world for so little & Loblaws mark it up... In a way I feel guilty, some of poor farmer somewhere is getting nothing for their labour...

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.