You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/01/2022 10:37 am  #1

Kiosk or Cedar?

Looking to do a quick 2 nighter end of month, for Truth and Reconciliation day weekend. Don't want to portage really, and was thinking of staying on either Kiosk or Cedar.

Which would y'all suggest? I was thinking of the Kish Kaduk (not sure if that's how you spell it) sites on Cedar, and not really sure what site to aim for on Kiosk. I have a hammock, though I don't think that matters much in Algonquin (hasn't yet, anyway). 

I'd be driving up from Toronto, so going to Cedar would be a longer drive in, but not a huge deal really. 

9/02/2022 9:59 pm  #2

Re: Kiosk or Cedar?

I like staying on both lakes myself.  I’ve never stayed on the site you’ve mentioned on Cedar.  As far as Kiosk I’ve stayed on sites 13-16 (on the PCI) for a day or two.  Far enough from the access point to give more of a remote feeling I suppose.

9/03/2022 3:39 pm  #3

On cedar I've enjoyed 6, 9, 10, and 13. 

On Kiosk I'd agree with 13-16.  7 looks good from a distance.

9/10/2022 7:02 am  #4

I just paddled Kiosk yesterday. Like the others have said, the west side of the lake is nicer in my opinion. I checked out 14-16 on shore and will have campsite reports up on my website shortly. 10-13 all looked nice from the distance but I didn't go on shore. 23-24 are on massive rock faces, I didn't go on shore but it's hard to not notice the scale of it from the water passing by.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

9/22/2022 3:52 pm  #5

My preference would be to skip Cedar.  At least from my home, Kiosk is about 4.5hr, Cedar is 5.5hr.  At 5.5hr drive, now you're into Temagami time, in which case I would say go to Temagami and camp for free on Crown land.  Save some money, booking fee & two night backcountry fee. With inflation being what it is, every bit counts, so at least $35 saved & even more if you're not solo.  So to me the choice is really between Kiosk or Temagami.

I know this might sound crazy, but I went to Kiosk for a 1 nighter this past Labour Day, but I was desperate to get in one last trip as I'm not sure I will be able to fit in another trip this year.  I also drove up from Toronto. For a short trip, yeah agree, you don't want to be wasting time with long tripping/portage, just land on the lake, paddle, setup campsite, fish, chill, etc. 

9/26/2022 9:19 am  #6

That's a great point SS about Cedar vs Temagami. I haven't been to Temagami yet, and wanted to spend more than a few days there when I do go. Thanks for the advice!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.