You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/25/2022 1:39 pm  #1

Best campsites on Big Trout Lake?

Hey, everyone!
I'm heading to Big Trout with a 5-person group this summer. I've done quite a bit of research (PCI and Trip Logs) on Big Trout, trying to get hints and a better idea of which sites to pick from. I ask for Big Trout because this is the lake we'll be staying 2 nights on, so I'd love to settle in on an AMAZING site Ideally, with a Sunset view, great swimming, good tent pads, and a great firepit/kitchen!

We enter from Otterslide Creek and will be exiting via Merchant although we don't mind paddling the length of the lake for a site that is worth it!

Any suggestions, thoughts, and photos would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!!

3/25/2022 6:01 pm  #2

Re: Best campsites on Big Trout Lake?

Don't have any  pictures but I stayed at the southern most Island on the east end of the lake which would be directly on your route.  From what I recall, there was an open area on the site, up a short gravelly  hill.  The site faced east (and the prevailing winds) and I think swimming was fine. It was a long day getting  there and I likely didn't do much other than eat, go for a quick dip to clean off, and go to sleep but it struck me as a solid place to stay.  I was originally looking at the sites on the little peninsula just to the North but this site looked better (from the water  at least).

Another site I paddled by that looked good was the furthest west site of 3 on the island by the narrows from white trout.

3/25/2022 6:19 pm  #3

I have reports for most of the campsites for Big Trout on my website (see signature below) but it's such a big lake and there's no guarantee of getting any site in particular that it's hard to really make a recommendation. Honestly, most of the sites are nice and it just depends on your personal preference... some are elevated with gorgeous views, but makes it harder to access the water, etc. I would recommend reading through the reports on my site, and other sites, and make a shortlist of ones that appeal to you specifically and hope that one of them are available.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

3/28/2022 7:08 am  #4

Welcome!  I'd recommend balancing the use of the map (where you can see the topography and relative point of view with the PCI type resources on this site that you've consulted) to consider a few options and then doing the real decision-making on-site.

We often would have a few sites in mind and visit them in sequence - we get out, look around and talk about the positives and negatives.  Maybe the thunderbox is uncomfortably close to the firepit, maybe the fishing looks lousy out front or perhaps the views are obscured or limited...but it's a fun way to develop an appreciation for the variability from one site to the next.  

Sometimes your first site is a gem and checks all of your boxes...that must be the result of good, clean living because that doesn't happen to us so often!  ;-) Trippythings is spot on with the 'personal preference' part - one man's trash is another man's treasure!  I've been on the tiny island site in the easternmost arm as you are heading towards the Merchant portage and also on the peninsula site just southwest of that island.  I would say the peninsula site offered more of what you are looking for.  All four of those easternmost sites should have some degree of sunset view though but the tiny island won't check many of your boxes.  

Enjoy the trip!

3/30/2022 11:49 am  #5

Thanks guys, this is super helpful! 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.