You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/24/2022 4:17 pm  #1

A few questions

Like many other Algonquin Park enthusiasts ... this time of year .
Making plans fer spring opener .
Hopin ta get up to a favourite lake up the Nip River ... paddlin in from Brent .
Have read some lengthy discussions regarding increased interior fees .
From what I can read the fees are the same as they have been ?
Also ... curious ta know if the enjoyment of such a trip is now only exclusive to those making online reservations ?
I'm not against change for the cost saving convenience for all of us to continue the privilege of the enjoyment of Algonquin Park .
For those .... like my self that still have their money in a wool sock under their mattress .
Is it still possible to show up early at the permit office and plan yer trip from there ?
If only for nostalgic sake and those not so comfortable with the online reservation system . 

3/24/2022 4:38 pm  #2

Re: A few questions

It's still $11 per person per night.

You  can still book by phone and I see absolutely no reason why  they wouldn't let you book the day of. The only thing I'd mention is demand is pretty high these days so chances of getting your preferred route over  a weekend may be slim (even out of Brent).

I'm sure a call to the Algonquin office would confirm it.

3/24/2022 5:16 pm  #3

Thanks Keg ... Fees are still similar for the amazing enjoyment of an interior paddle in Algonquin Park , a few cents higher than when up the N|ip fer the first time in the early 90's .
Still a gosh darn bargain , as far I'm concerned  .

3/24/2022 6:10 pm  #4

The talk about increased fees is based on the rollout to other parks first and then likely to Algonquin, but nothing has been implemented just yet.

You can still show up get a permit in person, but the park is getting busier and busier each year so it's becoming increasingly difficult to show up without a reservation and be able to book the lakes you want. If you travel in the shoulder seasons it will be much easier, but ice out weekend is already jam packed with tons of lakes booked solid.

"a few cents higher than when up the N|ip fer the first time in the early 90's .
Still a gosh darn bargain , as far I'm concerned  ."

The concern is that fees won't just be going up a few cents, the plan is I believe $40/night regardless of group size. No longer a per person fee. So if you travel solo or with one other person, the increase is very significant. It will also promote travelling with larger groups (cheaper per person) which will have more impact on the campsites, portages, etc.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

3/24/2022 6:42 pm  #5

Trippythings  ....Thanks for your response .
That pretty well sums up my thoughts , of access to all .
I have enjoyed the privilege of paddlin , walking , snowshoeing , skiing Algonquin Park as a curious child ... for the last 40 years . 
I am still a child at heart when I visit Algonquin Park .
My thoughts ..as one of many.... is that Algonquin Park should be enjoyed by all , whether they have a computer or a cell phone or an old truck that just shows up at a permit office .
A naive thought maybe . 
I don't post trip reports on this forum , as I once did ... in part cause the upper middle-class snooty comments of the all knowing that I find scare off the curious mind of those just beginning and still, wondering ...as I did many a year ago .
Yep ... two dollars n sixtey cents more than my first paddle to Nadine in the 90's ....still the best bargain goin eh !

3/24/2022 6:44 pm  #6

ask about the seniors discount ,, every little bit helps,,   good luck mr. sid

3/24/2022 7:01 pm  #7

Hey Doug... I ain't a senior yet , and there certainly no shame if I was . If ya need a hand carrying yer pack up the Nippissing this Spring .... let me know , I'd be more than glad to oblige ya !

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.