You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/06/2022 8:26 am  #1

Ice out reso's are stacking up

I went to make some bookings this morning for an easy 2-3 nighter out of Tim lake down the upper Nip/up the Tim.  Everything is booked solid on the weekend before May long, and on May long anything from Longbow back to Tim Lake is booked solid after the Friday.
I can't get enough time for an extended trip due to family obligations, and after 2 years of ice out trips being cancelled this is a bit frustrating.  I guess the word is out on the honey holes ... oh well. 

Any suggestions for a good 3 night trip with some decent fishing for in season fish?  I'm travelling from the GTA, so Kiosk would be the furthest access point for this one. 

2/07/2022 3:15 pm  #2

Re: Ice out reso's are stacking up

Sent u a PM.  

2/08/2022 7:18 am  #3

Big Trout, Burntroot, Lavieille and Hogan are all productive lakes with lots of sites that we start early to get to in one day but if you have three or four days that shouldn't be a problem at all.  I personally prefer river fishing if seeking productivity and there are many of those scattered about.

If you are planning to travel during the busy times it is recommended to reserve well in advance...especially for areas that are easily accessed.  I haven't bothered to look at availability but I assume the large interior lakes have open sites even for the high demand dates you have chosen.

Last edited by PaPaddler (2/08/2022 7:18 am)

2/08/2022 2:55 pm  #4

PaPaddler wrote:

Big Trout, Burntroot, Lavieille and Hogan are all productive lakes with lots of sites that we start early to get to in one day but if you have three or four days that shouldn't be a problem at all.  I personally prefer river fishing if seeking productivity and there are many of those scattered about.

If you are planning to travel during the busy times it is recommended to reserve well in advance...especially for areas that are easily accessed.  I haven't bothered to look at availability but I assume the large interior lakes have open sites even for the high demand dates you have chosen.

Thanks PaPaddler.

This post was made purely out of frustration, there is a ton of availability throughout the park, just not where I intended to go. 

Which is interesting, because it used to be the dead zone as it can be a slog in some spots.

I know booking some areas at certain times of the year requires the full 5 month lead time, but I’m still in shock the Nip is jacked 4 months out.

Anyway, thanks to a few folks who’ve messaged me I think I have a good secondary option for a short trip that may very well produce a few tasty specks.

2/10/2022 7:48 am  #5

I haven't looked them up in a couple years but the old fishing summaries based upon the surveys reveal far greater success in the rivers - if you look at the 'fish caught per rod hour' many of the rivers delivered about 1 fish per hour vs. the lakes that ranged from two to ten hours needed per fish on average.  Many of the larger trout come from the lakes but good-sized rivers have been productive even with larger trout for me (17-23").

The smaller rivers are great for the pan-sized eaters...which we normally would release all fish over 14" and keep a couple smaller than those for a meal.  You'll hit some...and as soon as you have one on the frustration will be forgotten!

2/11/2022 12:15 pm  #6

Does anyone know why the reservation system will not let you book before May 13th.
I can guess it has to do with ice out and not wanting to refund park passes. This didn't seem to be a problem when I had 4 reservations canceled due to Covid restrictions last year. In fact it was quit painless.
Do they actually want people to pack for an interior canoe trip, drive up and hope that the park is open and there are spots available?
Just curious.  

2/11/2022 12:23 pm  #7

Ice out management has been a complete shit-show pretty much since Winters retired.

It's pretty damn annoying to say the least.

2/11/2022 12:41 pm  #8

They won't let you book before May 13th... now. But they will open reservations for earlier dates if and when they've declared ice out. Their usual routine is when it seems likely things are clear, they schedule a flyover. If the flyover confirms ice-out then they'll declare an opening date for interior camping to begin, and then reservations are open from that date onwards. 

From previous years I seem to recall that they have a thing for opening camping on a Friday, and the flyover is usually a day or two prior. 

Last edited by Uppa (2/11/2022 12:42 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.