You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/25/2022 9:52 pm  #1

Year in Review Posts

Hey everyone,

I've written a few year in review posts for 2021 and got the last of them up tonight. There's one on lessons learned (thankfully no lessons like 2020's Don't Bleep With Thunder) and then a couple on my year end highlights in the shape of the annual Moosie awards. If you're looking for something to do to pass the time til ice out, this will eat up at least ten of those minutes.

https://allofalgonquin.com/2021/12/31/year-in-review-2021-lessons-learned/
https://allofalgonquin.com/2022/01/14/year-in-review-2021-the-golden-moose-awards-part-one/
https://allofalgonquin.com/2022/01/25/year-in-review-2021-the-golden-moose-awards-part-two/

Drew

1/26/2022 10:42 am  #2

Re: Year in Review Posts

Thanks so much!!!
Very entertaining as always; I look forward to your 2022 adventures

1/26/2022 11:29 am  #3

As always, your writing style is a super fun and enjoyable read. Thanks for posting this Drew!

1/27/2022 8:54 am  #4

that Mountain House chili is the worst! While I've eaten a lot of FD food over the years and find the taste tolerable, the resulting gas cramps and mandatory 2am sprint to the boombox, followed by a day or so of playing rear guard on the trail, AND having to sit downwind of everyone due to emissions that would make the EPA cringe was less than pleasurable. and then on top of it all my, and others who were with me, experiences have made it into the history books among our group. I bought a dehydrator immediately following that trip...
As for portages, I actually enjoy doubling or 1 1/2ing them, I usually carry the packs and gear on the first leg which gives me the opportunity to scout the route, observe the nature around me, and stretch out and recharge my muscles, before following with my canoe, While I CAN single it, I'm in no rush- after all the whole reason for my tripping is to recharge and see and hear the sights and sounds of nature around me, not to participate in a "death march" just to get from A to B as fast as possible. I've even been known to just drop my gear, whip out my fishing rod and do a few casts into any promising- looking stream I may cross

1/28/2022 10:19 am  #5

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

scoutergriz wrote:

after all the whole reason for my tripping is to recharge and see and hear the sights and sounds of nature around me, not to participate in a "death march" just to get from A to B as fast as possible.

This is a great point. I'm definitely someone who falls more in the A to B as fast as possible camp, and I've been trying to remind myself to slow it down the past couple of summers. There's so much to see and when you've got your head down and are pushing as hard as you can, you don't get to see it. But, as I said in the post, my desire to soak everything in gets pushed right up against that ticking clock in the back of my head and more often than not the clock wins. Something I've got to work on, for sure.

And, 100%, FD chili is the worst. 

1/28/2022 2:14 pm  #6

I'm literally incapable of taking it easy between campsites - getting to my destination is the only conceivable goal. Waterfall ten minutes off my route? Nope, not gonna happen. Set up a camera on land and film myself paddling away? That would waste time. I can't even take it easy on my campsite in the morning. I get up, eat breakfast, pack up and get on the water. Doesn't matter if it's a short travel day - I can't sit around if I have somewhere to be. 

I'm not proud of it mind you - I'd like to break this curse. But it's beyond my ability. 

1/28/2022 5:54 pm  #7

I am the same way, however: 1) I double carry, and 2) I don't put in the kind of days you do.  To me, the ideal travel day is 3-4 hours.  I'm perfectly good with putzing around camp doing not much.  Maybe I'll explore a bit once I'm at a site and set up, but I'm very Point A to Point B.  I try to smell the roses a bit along the way, I'll force myself to take a few photos, but I won't even eat lunch while en route.  Just can't do it.  Makes me too antsy. 

Like you, not proud of it, just kind of bent that way.  The best I can do is to not make a race day out of it, calm down, relax, enjoy where I am, and keep reminding myself that I'm on vacation....

1/30/2022 12:29 pm  #8

Always a good read Drew, thanks. 

I used to be a point A to point B as fast and direct as possible tripper, but have recently forced myself to slow down.  Fish more during the day, take a swim break or have a fish fry lunch, explore something 15 minutes off route etc.  If the weather is decent I'd rather be out paddling until dinner time and then set camp, eat, fire, bed. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.