You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/22/2016 12:28 pm  #1

Planning Canoe Lake to Sunbeam - Early May

Hey everyone,
Early May I'm planning a trip to the normally very busy area north of Canoe Lake. I've never explored this area before so I'm excited to check it out. I'd love to here suggestions regarding what route to take, campsites and anything in particular we should check out. We are planning on doing 4 nights and are not looking for particularly long or intense travel days this time around (although if it comes down to it, we will have smiles on our faces all day either way).
Here is what we currently have in mind - totally open to changing it up based on your suggestions and experiences.
Day 1 - Canoe Lake to Baby Joe
Day 2 - Baby Joe to Sunbeam (Via Vanishing Pond or Burnt Island - not sure yet)
Day 3 - Nature & Chill Day
Day 4 - Sunbeam to Either just North or just South of Tepee Lake (Via Aster Pond)
Day 5 - Back Home
Thanks you for any input and advice you may have!!
Matt

Last edited by MatteoP (1/22/2016 12:30 pm)

1/22/2016 12:49 pm  #2

Re: Planning Canoe Lake to Sunbeam - Early May

I would go in the opposite direction, doing the loop clockwise. Reason being that some of the portages between the Joes can be skipped in high water, but there will be a current and you'd want to be going downstream. Assuming you have a bit of moving water capabilities (not serious rapids).

I'd camp on Littledoe rather than Tepee or Joe. Granted it's not summer camp season, but Tepee and Joe are still lakes with lots of development and possible motorboat activity. Littledoe is still close enough to Canoe for a fairly light day of travel.

In terms of route I'd probably say go from Littledoe to Sunbeam via Blue Jay and Vanishing, and from there to Baby Joe via Treefrog and Burnt Island. This is the lightest route in terms of portaging. The Blue Jay-Vanishing creek can be painful in the summer but should be easy in the spring. And Burnt Island Lake will add some bigger water to your trip.

Do note that this is a fairly slow-paced trip... if you take the route I've suggested, it's a loop I've done in 2 days with a first-timer (clockwise, early May, one night on Sunbeam) and in 3 days with a larger group (counter-clockwise, July, one night on Burnt Island and one on Littledoe, lunch stop on Sunbeam). You're planning to take 4 days plus a layover. Which is fine of course, just so you know what to expect. If you want to challenge yourself a bit on the layover day you could try to go to the White Trout Fire Tower lookout.

1/22/2016 1:58 pm  #3

Early in the season I would do the Joes section upstream. I did this  a few years back. The portages had some blowdown so I was forced into lining on the river.. Good thing..there were a couple of small trees down in the river that I might not have seen going downriver.

1/22/2016 7:16 pm  #4

If you are coming through aster pond and little doe into little oxtongue river, the campsite on the point with the ranger cabin site (marked on Jeffs map) is a fantastic site, large and with the option to setup in the open in warm weather, or further in protected by trees.
Although in cool weather not ideal to being open to winds. We got stuck on Tepee lake  on the way back due to a snow squall, did not dare to cross  further to canoe lake in the whitecap water and set out a day on the last campsite on the left at the beginning of Tepee, was nothin special.None of the sites along little oxtongue were anything to write home about either, but  would do  the job in a pinch.
Hope it helps

1/22/2016 7:56 pm  #5

Went through there last June as a day trip from Tom Thomson. Kooy pond through Aster pond was pretty crappy and muddy to sunbeam.  We returned via Vanishing pond and little doe. Was much better IMO.

1/23/2016 12:39 am  #6

Thank you very much for all the input. It's all very useful information

We're going to sit down and talk about in the next couple of days. Probably opt for a longer version of this trip and we will take the currents into consideration. Any other currents in that are I should be aware of? Thanks!

1/23/2016 5:21 am  #7

I have always wanted to check out Sunbeam lake. The only downside is I don't think there is very good trout fishing in the area?

1/24/2016 9:54 am  #8

I avoid large lakes in the early and late seasons as the winds can be brutal, whipping up 2 foot waves.  Combined with very cold water, it is not a safe prospect.
I've been windblown twice on Canoe Lake, once caused me to channel Monty Python's Always Look on the Bright Side of Life.....
Take care....

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.