You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/03/2021 7:27 pm  #1

Road closures affecting access points

I could puke.  I could absolutely puke.  I wanted to take a particular route in the Fall of 2019, schedule/availability caused me to take a different route.  I wanted to take it Spring 2020.  COVID-cancelled.  Wanted to take it Fall of 2020.  COVID.  Spring 2021.  COVID.  Set it up for the 11th through the 14th of September 2021.  Woohoo!  Right up until two minutes ago.

Hello David,
Please be advised of the following closures that will impact your upcoming Algonquin Backcountry reservation:

Forestry Tower Road Closure impacting Access Point #3.
Algonquin Provincial Park has been made aware of a road closure outside of the Park that will affect your reservation. A bridge on route to your access point on Forestry Tower Road will be closed to all traffic from September 13th to September 17th.

Rain Lake Road Closure impacting Access Point #4 and #30.
Algonquin Provincial Park has been made aware of a road closure outside the Park that will affect your reservation. A bridge on route to your access point on Rain Lake Road will be closed to all traffic from September 27th – October 12th.

Please contact the call centre at 1-888-ONT-PARK (1-888-668-7275) at your earliest convenience to make penalty free changes to your reservation or to cancel for a full refund.

If you wish to modify your reservation, alternate options with similar features for your consideration could include the following access points: # 2 Tim River, # 1 Kawawaymog, #29 Kiosk, #28 Brain Lake, #27 Cedar Lake-Brent, or any available access point along the Hwy 60 corridor.   

Thank you for your understanding.  JUST BECAUSE I UNDERSTAND AND I REALLY DO APPRECIATE RECEIVING THE NOTICE DOESN'T MEAN I GOTTA LIKE IT.   

9/03/2021 8:44 pm  #2

Re: Road closures affecting access points

Sorry to hear this Dave. To your point, it's been a frustrating couple of years and these kind of notifications are a major slap in the face. I remember back in June when I wanted to do a backcountry outing but could not due to lockdown extensions despite the fact that every freakin' golf course in the province was open! Seriously. I hope you can still enjoy another route despite the kick in the teeth.

9/03/2021 9:13 pm  #3

Re: Road closures affecting access points

Road closures for planned maintenance that could have been done during covid? ...reminds me of Enbridge...put a new pool in last spring and were surprised that our gas bill didn't go up too much...then in October a bill for over $1000! When I called they said every 'reading' since March was only an estimate...I pointed out that their own policy dictates that they read the actual meter every other month...their response? Covid.... our meter readers couldn't go out....um, but the meters are outside I pointed out...crickets...all the while my wife is treating people (including the stupid and/or selfish antivaxxers) in her hospital every day risking her life and our family's...gotta' love bureaucrats and monopolies and their complete lack of accountability

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.