You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/28/2021 11:35 pm  #1

McCraney to Islet and back to Rain

Just completed our 2021 Algonquin trip with family. First loop trip for the kids and they killed it! Unmaintained portages, mucky put-ins and really hot weather were all part of the experience. The Wee, Way and Weed portions were not as bad as I had expected from reading some other trip logs people had posted. This was a great trip for swimming and fishing. We really enjoyed the lakes we visited. Rain lake access was busier than I have ever seen it. We almost couldn't find parking and had to get creative. 1st trip in over 50 trips where we had virtually no wind and no rain for 6 days. I really loved McCraney lake and will definitely be going back there some day! Both lakes were showing online to be fully booked but this wasn't the case when we arrived it looked like we shared the whole lakes with only 1 or 2 other groups. The unmaintained portage portion of the loop had its challenges but overall the portages were in good condition, though less traveled were easy to follow. Two canoes 2 large dogs and 4 children made for a busy time for my wife and I but we wouldn't change it for anything! My only hope is that one day our children follow in our footsteps.

Grant

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.