You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/13/2021 9:24 am  #1

permits issued per lake

Among the many things I don't like about the new Ontario Parks website is that it no longer tells me how many permits are issued for a particular lake.
Does anyone know a source of this information?

...other than asking you folks, of course:

Anyone know how many permits are issued for (1) Kenneth... and (2) Welcome.
(yes, two separate trips - I like to basecamp)

Kenneth has 3 sites, so as a rule of thumb 2 permits -- but I'm not sure.
Welcome has 6 sites, so maybe 5?

Last edited by bheard (8/13/2021 9:25 am)

8/13/2021 10:09 am  #2

Re: permits issued per lake

This is a browser plugin that allows you to see the number of permits issues for you dates again.  https://sitescout.ca/

The site nearest the portage on Kenneth is terrible, so I imagine they only issue two.  I think you're also correct about 5 for Welcome. 

8/13/2021 10:55 am  #3

Thanks!
The browser plug in is terrific.

To my surprise, for Kenneth Lake it says "Total Permits 3"... "Available Permits 2"

Thanks for the advice on the one poor site.
This is why I wanted to check on the number of permits... I had thought that it was a universal that there is a spare campsite on each lake.  Jeff's Map shows only three.
(I like to base camp, so I am obsessive about finding my perfect spot to sit by the lake and do essentially nothing).
...I also almost always start trips on a Monday partly to increase my luck.

Welcome Lake (again surprising) shows only "Total Permits 4"... out of six campsites.  This is the situation that I love - 3 permits for 3 sites makes me nervous.

8/13/2021 1:57 pm  #4

bheard wrote:

... I had thought that it was a universal that there is a spare campsite on each lake.

I think there are a number of variables that they consider. Kenneth Lake is pretty easily accessible, close to an access point, and is a dead end lake. The only people arriving at the lake are people camping there (no through traffic, people behind schedule, etc.). So it's much less likely for people to be camping off permit on Kenneth. It's also not a highly popular lake, so the campsites aren't always in use and probably don't require 'rejuvenation' as much as other sites might.

If you look at Welcome, your other example, it's lodged between some longer portages, it's a bit further into the backcountry, it has nice beach campsites (might make people overstay their permits), and it gets lots of through traffic since it's in the middle of a popular route... good idea to have a few buffer sites.

It doesn't always make sense to me though, like why Mocassin and Bandit, both lakes that have two campsites on them, are issued one permit and two permits.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.