You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/11/2021 10:21 am  #1

Canisbay Backcountry Sites

Hi everyone- do people have favourite paddle-in sites on Canisbay?

Surprisingly nothing on the PCI!

Thanks in advance.

8/18/2021 12:09 pm  #2

Re: Canisbay Backcountry Sites

Hey John, have not been on Canisbay but Markus posted a TR a while ago.  You can find a link in the AA Trip Logs (at the bottom of the page) or just google Mark in the Park and you'll find on his site.

8/18/2021 2:09 pm  #3

Stayed on the site on the eastern side of the 'narrow' section at the north of the lake. Was quite unassuming as we pulled up but inside was very nice. Great beach and swimming site. Think Canisbay sites get a lot of use during the year. Nice lake though.

8/18/2021 2:15 pm  #4

John McClane wrote:

Hi everyone- do people have favourite paddle-in sites on Canisbay?

Surprisingly nothing on the PCI!

Thanks in advance.

I have camped often on Canisbay padddle-in sites.  Other than the point site on the RH shoreline, the others are quite good.  From the lake you will see a wide open space on the RH shoreline which is one of my fav sites.  Right next door to it is another great site with a small lagoon in the back of it for good moose viewing.  I was there last year and had a daddy and momma moose walked past my site in the water along the shoreline,,,,,only 15 ft. away from where I was sitting on my chair near the lake.  To be honest I froze and just wished they would pass quickly, but daddy moose decided to stop and check me out which seemed like an eternity, but probably was only about 10 seconds..  I knew moose were close by as my neighbours on the site with the pond in the back came to my site the day before and told me to come and see some moose in the pond.  There was a daddy, momma and baby moose eating a bunch of lilies.  My neighbours left the next morning and that afternoon I had my adventure with the moose, other than the baby one.

So I do know that these two sites were good for moose viewing.  Nice flat areas for your tent(s) and shallow sandy/pebbly shoreline. Also a few good sites further on down the RH shoreline.  I don't know much about the ones on the LH shoreline. 

Last edited by boknows (8/18/2021 3:03 pm)

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

8/19/2021 8:51 pm  #5

I stayed on the last site on the North end across from the portage last September. It has a steep, roots slope up but lots of room once there. It had an old picnic table too. Enough room for 2 large tents or 3 smaller ones. One large spot under a very big white pine. If you moved around the site with the sun you could be in the sun all day. Water was really high last year so not much of a beach. Could see lake trough trees. Many other well worn but nice sites on the right hand side of the lake.

8/19/2021 10:53 pm  #6

I saw my first moose in the park (that was not on hwy 60) in the north part of Canisbay along the western shore. It was far away and it looked huge and impressive. I've never used Canisbay as a paddle in site but once I used it as a paddle out site where I arrived late in the day, planning on getting out early the next morning. I stayed on the west side, middle of the 3 sites that are in the middle of the lake on the west side. The site was flat, mostly open, lacking vegetation. To get firewood you would have to step down into a swampy area. At the time I really enjoyed the site but I feel that there are probably many better sites on the lake. 

Last edited by solos (8/19/2021 10:54 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.