You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/19/2021 2:51 pm  #1

Opeongo to Redrock portage

Hey all, a bunch of us gals are going into Redrock. One of my friends would like to use cart wheels on the portage, if possible. I was there a couple of years ago, but other than the hills, I cannot remember if wheels are at all feasible. Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks!

7/19/2021 4:59 pm  #2

Re: Opeongo to Redrock portage

Sorry I don't actually have first hand information to Red Rock, but unless Proulx Lake is already full, why not change the reservation to Proulx? Not a major change to plans/destination/paddling to switch to Proulx.

My older Friends of Algonquin map (1995) shows
Red Rock as P1880m
Proulx as P1390m

Jeff's Map (2014) shows
Red Rock as P1880m
Proulx as P1395m, but it also shows Cart trail of 175m to unnamed lake then another cart trail of 965m to Proulx.

Under the creative commons license for Jeff's Map Ltd. I am providing attribution to the screen shot attached & the map also contains information licensed under the Open Government License - Ontario.

7/19/2021 8:01 pm  #3

I can not speak first hand but by what I have heard the short answer is no.

7/20/2021 6:19 am  #4

First hand experience walking that portage in the snow but not trying it with a canoe cart - I would say no.  That being said, I've heard of people doing strange things that I wouldn't do so maybe it's possible.

7/21/2021 7:55 am  #5

unfortunately no carting on redrock trail. the trail is up hill both ways start/end
  the best trail into red rock is from happy island,, but that does not help your trip 
    good luck   

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.