You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/12/2021 1:45 pm  #1

i really do not know why i bother,, i contacted ont. out door re-fees

as canadians we have a reputation of complainers and then do nothing about the complaints!!! again my posts seem to be mostly ignored,, must be a lot of wealthy canoe trippers  on here, and not retired on pensions???
    however,, yesterday i have contacted kevin callan about the fee increase regarding ontario parks,, kevin has brought hap wilson into the conversation that is now on face book.  this movement against fee increases is gathering momentum,, although the point seems mute here.
   secondly i am about to contact federation of angler and hunter ,, the ontario out doors magazine .

Last edited by swedish pimple (3/13/2021 5:46 am)

3/12/2021 4:11 pm  #3

Re: i really do not know why i bother,, i contacted ont. out door re-fees

Amazing Sweedish.  I just got a text from my friend with a screen shot of Kevin's post.  Word is spreading fast now. 

I have emailed the Minister of The Environment to voice my concern. I also signed the petition.

Keep up the good work.  

swedish pimple wrote:

as canadians we have a reputation of complainers and then do nothing about the complaints!!! again my posts seem to be mostly ignored,, must be a lot of wealthy canoe trippers  on here, and not retired on pensions???
    however,, yesterday i have contacted kevin callan about the fee increase regarding ontario parks,, kevin has brought hap wilson into the conversation that is now on face book.  this movement against fee increases is gathering momentum,, although the point seems mute here.
   secondly i am about to contact federation of angler and hunter ,, the ontario out doors magazine .
      what have you done for ontario parks lately???

Last edited by BB (3/12/2021 4:26 pm)

"Remember you belong to Nature, not it to you." - Grey Owl

3/12/2021 5:49 pm  #4

Shared on the Ontario Back Country Camping Facebook page

3/13/2021 5:59 am  #5

someone should try to contact the "paddling adventures " radio show about this flat rate fee increase. in my opinion,  a perfect way to get the word out .  these two hosts (sean and derek)  are from this website,, although they have not posted on here for along time for some reason ??  the link is on the home page

Last edited by swedish pimple (3/13/2021 6:12 am)

3/13/2021 7:40 am  #6

I sent it to them last year and I do believe they did a segment on one of their shows. To be honest I don't listen to the show so I can't comment on the depth to which they discussed it.

3/13/2021 8:11 pm  #7

Thank you swede for bringing this to our attention. I signed the petition that Barry linked in a previous post. I encourage others to do the same.  As a collective voice we can stop this from happening in a park we all love and enjoy .

3/14/2021 10:47 am  #8

Thanks for kicking this off Sweede!

I signed the petition, e-mailed MPP and updated the home page of TOURduPARK with a massive warning to make any visitor aware of the change, and the links to voice concerns. We can stop this!

3/14/2021 1:05 pm  #9

You have made a difference Swede. That petition has been up for a year and garnered 900 signatures. In the 2 days since you encouraged Kevin to mention it we are closing in on 3000 signatures. There are videos on Youtube, buzz in social media and lots of individuals sending letters to the government. Great job!

Make your voice heard:

Petition: Petition · Back Country Camping Fee Increases in Ontario · Change.org

Greg Wake, operations and development office, Ontario Parks. 705 927- 2861 greg.wake@ontario.ca

The Minister in Charge. Jeff Yurek, Minister of the Environment, Conservation and Parks. 416-314-6790 jeff.yurek@pc.ola.org

If you are located in Elgin-Middlesex-London and disagree with this policy remember Jeff Yurek at election time.

3/14/2021 5:45 pm  #10

just a quick note/ follow-up,,, i did speak with a columnist from the "ontario out of doors" magazine and "ontario federation of anglers and hunters"  fri .march 12th.  
          this gentlemen told me that he would do some fact checking and follow up with a news bulletin in the next issue of the magazine. he could not believe the situation .
   their  ain't no power like the power of the people. when the people are well informed !!

Last edited by swedish pimple (3/14/2021 5:46 pm)

3/14/2021 6:33 pm  #11

Much respect for your efforts, Swede. If I ever cross your path on the Florence-Louisa Portage again, I'll be sure to offer you a cold beer...!

3/15/2021 9:47 am  #12

Jonathan from Lost Lakes Youtube channel just did a video on it over the weekend too.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdCm7Kx8rYk

I see I was beaten too it as it's on the front page.  

Last edited by BB (3/15/2021 10:08 am)

"Remember you belong to Nature, not it to you." - Grey Owl

3/16/2021 7:00 am  #13

Is this the text of the petition?

Camping fees for back country sites have increased from about $12.00 per night to over $40.00. This is a price increase of over 400% and makes camping prohibitively expensive for  solos or couples who love the outdoors.  It is unfair and precludes the use of campsites by those of us who travel solo, many of whom have done volunteer work within some of the parks. 

3/16/2021 3:26 pm  #14

The reason I asked is that there appears to be substantial errors or exaggerations of the information.

Solo:  $12.43 plus $27.57 (222% increase not 400%) to get $40 per night.  A 400% increase would be $62.15.
Couple:  $24.86 plus $15.14 (61% increase not 300 or 400%) to get $40 per night.  A 300% increase would total $99.44.

I assume this is not intentionally deceptive but I would recommend an accurate petition might carry more weight with the political decision-makers,  Although it may get fewer signatures because it is not as scary to see a 61% increase instead of a 400% increase.

3/16/2021 4:06 pm  #15

Since you are such a stickler for detail the actual numbers are:

Solo then $12.43
Solo now $46.05
46.05/12.43=3.704
so a 270% increase.

Somewhere between his misinformation and your misinformation is the right misinformation! And what matters when trying to instigate political change is the attention it gets. 

Make your voice heard:

Petition: Petition · Back Country Camping Fee Increases in Ontario · Change.org

Greg Wake, operations and development office, Ontario Parks. 705 927- 2861 greg.wake@ontario.ca

The Minister in Charge. Jeff Yurek, Minister of the Environment, Conservation and Parks. 416-314-6790 jeff.yurek@pc.ola.org

If you are located in Elgin-Middlesex-London and disagree with this policy remember Jeff Yurek at election time.

3/16/2021 5:21 pm  #16

Petition at over 5500 signatures now! Let's keep at it!

3/16/2021 8:55 pm  #17

Peek wrote:

Petition at over 5500 signatures now! Let's keep at it!

Its a revolution man.
And all because of some dude we only know as The Swedish Pimple.

Seriously, with the petition and hopefully everyone sending emails and making phone calls hopefully this Government will finally start to listen to the people.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.