You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/05/2021 8:06 pm  #1

How many sites per lake? Thanks, Ontario Parks

Hey guys, did we ever figure out a work around to know how many bookings are available at each lake? 

I'm looking for info on Sunday Lake specifically (group outing). 

I really miss the days when it would show you on the reservations page. Let me take this opportunity to once again thank Ontario Parks for removing an extremely useful function from their website to the inconvenience of millions of campers. 

Thanks in advance, AA!

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack.

3/05/2021 9:51 pm  #2

Re: How many sites per lake? Thanks, Ontario Parks

Hey Dude,

Here is a link to a thread that addresses this - I suspect it is easier to figure out on a PC-based machine. I used to be a PC fan until my last laptop ended up being a colossal hunk of junk and now just work with a more reliable Mac which doesn't seem as user-friendly for this purpose - ugh! 
Anyway, I hope it helps. I totally agree with you regarding the Ontario Parks massively flawed and glitchy web reservation re-design. One of the reasons I left IT years back was my abhorrence with the direction of pushing out 'nicer looking' crap that was functionally sub-par to what it was replacing. Excuse my bitterness

https://old.reddit.com/r/algonquinpark/comments/hh50ra/ive_figured_out_how_to_tell_how_booked_up_a_lake/

Last edited by hiker72 (3/05/2021 10:04 pm)

3/06/2021 7:59 am  #3

As mentioned above there is a workaround; here's a YouTube video I made to show how to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO9ssab0FGo

This was done on a Mac btw, so still easy to do

It doesn't show you the total number of reservations available for the lake though, only how many are left. Which is important since most lakes leave one or more empty sites (ex. Clydegale Lake has 6 sites but only 4 reservations, so if you use the workaround and see "4" you might think two are already reserved, but that wouldn't be the case).

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

3/06/2021 9:24 am  #4

Responses to my emails to OP about this matter:

Dec 2019- “We have flagged these details you note below to our reservation service team and can confirm that we are actively looking into including this detail.”

Mar 2020- “We want to assure you that we are working closely with our service provider to address your outlined concerns. We are unable to provide an estimated timeline for implementation of backcountry zone occupancy at this time. Thank you again for your feedback.”

Makes me want to get a job at CAMIS- seems the bar is set pretty low.

3/06/2021 10:22 am  #5

I think what they are saying to you is “PFO”

Dave

3/06/2021 11:01 am  #6

I think you’re right. Unfortunately for them they can’t say it outright, so I’m going to bug them again! 

3/06/2021 12:17 pm  #7

When you click on ResourceStatus using the method noted above you get the line below.  I have bolded and highlighted in red the useful info.  Sunday Lake has 3 reservable sites.  Interestingly I don't think there is an overflow site (?) on Sunday but someone may have a better idea on this.  So I selected May 24 and it reads that there are 3 sites open for booking.  I assume the remainingtotalquota should be a placeholder to note when there are more sites on the lake than are available for booking but they don't actually use for that.  See Trippy's Clydegale example.  One work around to determine how many sites are bookable on a lake is to pick a date in the future that can't be booked yet.  So check Sunday Lake in October and it'll show 3 sites available.{"resourceId":-2147483258,"availabilityType":0,"resourceDateScheduleStatus":0,"resourceCategoryAllowed":true,"cartResourceOccupancyOwnership":0,"bookingResourceOccupancyOwnership":0,"equipmentAllowed":true,"reservabilityStatus":0,"partySizeStatus":0,"resourceMaxStayStatus":0,"attributesFailingFilter":[],"remainingReservableQuota":3.0,"remainingTotalQuota":3.0,"boatDimensionsAllowed":true,"violatesMaxStay":false,"violatesMinStay":false}

3/06/2021 4:53 pm  #8

great work ,, this info is so helpful,,,, thanks,,

Last edited by swedish pimple (3/06/2021 4:57 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.