You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/26/2016 7:34 am  #18

Re: Plans for 2016?

DanPM wrote:

Yes. What Jeff calls A36 is the group campground at Whitefish Lake. ParkBus makes a stop there so that it can accommodate group (frontcountry) camping trips. Since that's the closest ParkBus stop to Rock Lake etc, Jeff marks it as a "ParkBus only" access point with the idea that bus-riding canoe trippers who want to go into that area can launch from the Whitefish campground and paddle to the Rock Lake permit office to get their permits and start their trip. But there isn't overnight parking there for canoe trippers. To be fair I don't know what would happen if you tried negotiating with the park about parking at Whitefish for a canoe trip... but since the permit office is down the road at Rock Lake anyway, it would be more convenient to start there.

I asked last summer about parking at Whitefish group camp-ground extra parking if I wanted to go a quick trip into the island on Whitefish for a single night and they said it was okay. But they did tell me I would have to drive to the Rock Lake office then back.

1/26/2016 7:59 am  #19

Ah, that's interesting. I imagine it must be a discretionary thing that depends on how busy they are and stuff... if it were generally permitted, I trust Jeff would have figured it out and made the appropriate note on the map?

4/27/2016 1:58 pm  #20

Enjoyed reading this thread! I have three planned this summer. One five day loop in May (p290 on Carcajou Bay, Little Carcajou, Carcajou, Greenleaf), One five day loop Canada day weekend (Catfish, Burntroot, Burntroot, Robinson) and one in August to Fork Lake for two nights  

4/27/2016 2:31 pm  #21

My current plans are spending next week (on holidays) sitting at home crying. At least until Wednesday.

4/27/2016 2:59 pm  #22

I'll be doing Algonquin May 7-15 and I'm pretty sure its set this time. Something on the French River we have a family cottage on the North Channel, maby the West outflow/ Voyageur Channel. I was hoping to do a week in Quetico in July - Aug sometime but will depend on whether I get rid of my 2007 Cobalt with 360000kms, I don't think it will make the trip and I don't want to need to rent equipment. Think I may do Killarney instead and do a northern trip next year. Also want to do Algonquin again Late September, I love that time of year. 

4/29/2016 10:52 pm  #23

I've got two trip to Algonquin currently booked.  The first is the 13th to the 15th of May to Rosbary from the Tim River access point.  It will be both my oldest son's and my father's first time into the backcountry. 

The second is our guys annually portage trip in Mid August.  Leaving from the Tim River again on this trip.  This trip is a 5 day, I have a friend from Peru coming.  It'll be his first ever canoe trip.  The beauty of the park and the wildlife are going to blow his mind.   

Great to see/read everyone's plans for the year.  Getting me fired up for another paddling/portaging season!

4/30/2016 7:33 am  #24

I have a 7-month old daughter so getting any camping time this year required a great deal of negotiation. I'll be taking three interior trips this year: a 5-day, a 4-day, and a 3-day. 

The 5 day is coming up soon, leaving May 9th. I'm going in through Shall, spending a night on Booth, a night on Shirley, and two nights on McKaskill. 

The other two trips I haven't booked or even thought about much until just now, but I'm thinking one out of Magnetawan and one from the Tim River. 

5/01/2016 1:07 pm  #25

token wrote:

I asked last summer about parking at Whitefish group camp-ground extra parking if I wanted to go a quick trip into the island on Whitefish for a single night and they said it was okay. But they did tell me I would have to drive to the Rock Lake office then back.

I believe some of the campgrounds are subcontracted out you might have issues. 

ZenSoloist wrote:

Methye, thanks for the info on Pukaskwa. If I get up there, I will attempt that hike but not sure about time though I have no issues hiking in the dark....

The trail from the parking to the bridge is pretty flat and straight for big sections.  You should make good time on it and have no trouble navigating at night.

My big Algonquin trip is a 8 night solo out of Brent through Burntroot and Radiant. Beyond that a social weekend basecamping on Rain and taking a bunch of city kids backpacking on the Western Uplands.  Add in a trip to Massassauga and Algonquin again in the fall. Maybe a night or two on crown land somewhere.

5/02/2016 1:47 pm  #26

Going to do a loop in the Haliburton Highlands Water Trails this weekend, level 1 whitewater certification next weekend, south Algonquin for the May long weekend, my first-ever solo trip some time in June (maybe Algonquin, not sure yet), a weekender in June (not sure where yet), 9-day loop in Algonquin in July (Magnetawan to Big Trout and back), 8-day loop in Temagami in August, somewhere on Labour Day weekend, and Thanksgiving Weekend maybe the Tim River.

www.wabooseadventures.com 

Photographer | Blogger | Outdoors Woman | Canoeing | Camping | Hiking | Connecting with Nature | Landscape, Nature, and Wildlife Photography

5/02/2016 2:29 pm  #27

We'll be hiking the third loop of the Western Uplands in late June, and then off to do the Lake Superior Coastal Trail in early August (my first time) after hanging out a few days on Manitoulin Island. We'll also be introducing my 14 y.o. daughter to some backcountry camping in Killarney mid-August and I'm hoping she gets hooked. I was surprised how filled up the Killarney backcountry sites are so far in advance, but we were lucky to get a good spot for a couple of nights. No solo hikes planned as of yet, but I'm hoping to sneak one in at some point. 

All the best to everyone,

Rich

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.