You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/07/2016 11:35 am  #1

Hot tenting this sunday!

Happy new year everyone!
We are going hot tenting this Sunday to the rain lake rd access point. Two nights, three days,
The town of Kearney plows up to the 12th km the rest we'll sled.
This is more of a crown land trip as we don't think 12k is realistic in the winter. (+ no park fees)
Does anyone have any points of interest/caution along this road?
Thanks!

Last edited by fishinggal (1/08/2016 1:30 am)

1/09/2016 2:13 pm  #2

Re: Hot tenting this sunday!

Have fun! I drove the road in september, the last bit of it is quite rough on a vehicle, due to  boulders, sharp looking stones and potholes. Not sure how much snow there is on the ground, and what sled you'll be using, but it could be hard on the sled if little or no snow coverage. Road twists and turns, goes by an open swamp area (wildlife?)
and through different kinds of mixed forest. There was a portable toilet at the access point, as well as a small area to camp in case of a late arrival, to the right of the dock, if you get that far. No idea if they leave the portable there through the winter, but i would actually doubt that.
Enjoy your trip!
Wanda S

1/09/2016 4:33 pm  #3

Oh oops, the small tenting area was not at rain lake access point but Tim river.
So sorry for the mistake.

1/09/2016 5:44 pm  #4

I know along the way on Forestry Tower Road there were a few Crown Land campsites right off the roadway that might make good spots?  That's on the way to Tim and Mag though, not sure about the Rain Lake access road

1/10/2016 1:36 am  #5

tentsterforever wrote:

Oh oops, the small tenting area was not at rain lake access point but Tim river.
So sorry for the mistake.

Rain Lake has quite a few 'jump off' sites. And there is a Phoenix composting toilet at the access point which stays there all winter long.

1/26/2016 1:24 pm  #6

Made it out alive! First winter camping trip was a success.
We parked at the point of no more winter maintenance on rain lake rd which is at the beginning of barre lake. We walked to the end of barre lake, we acually followed moose tracks down this hill, and found a great flat spot out of the wind down a trail. The moose tracks lead to a creek! How beautiful. Super relaxing to hear it babble by our site.
Winter camping, no joke. El nino gave us a good run. Upon our arrival it was 5 and raining (rained about 25++ cm) and all night the night before. We knew the temp would go down to -25. We are lucky with all our camping fishing, hypothermia skills that we decided to stay our first night.
We had a lovely time when spring stopped and winter came back.

- fg

1/26/2016 3:11 pm  #7

I like the pics. My one winter camping trip thus far also involved following moose tracks down to a creek and then making camp... but we saw the moose just before we saw its tracks, and then spotted it again after following them.

Given that you were outside the park, did you not do any ice fishing in that area? Was there any obvious sign of snowmobiling on the unplowed road(s)?

Last edited by DanPM (1/26/2016 3:12 pm)

1/07/2017 10:11 pm  #8

Sounds awesome!

It was my (our) first time winter camping with a stove never been in a yurt or cold camping.
No ice fishing, just learning how to use everything and figuring out logistics.
Set up time / Safety / Daylight / Camp chores / Energy levels 
We are using icefishing sleds that suck in heavy snow with our heavy gear we only ended up 1.5k from the car, where the winter maintenance ends on rain lake rd. The pouring rain and slush really did not help our first time situation. There was a truck on the road at one point when we were at camp no snowmobiles. Weather probably had something to do with no traffic, (mon- rain tues -25, wed- storm)
Ideally we'd love to do ice fishing and camping combos. I think just gear wise it would have to be a four man trip w huts or two man no huts.
We are getting a hot tent this year so we just gotta find some solid back country places to go!

1/10/2017 7:42 am  #9

fishinggal wrote:

Made it out alive! First winter camping trip was a success.
We parked at the point of no more winter maintenance on rain lake rd which is at the beginning of barre lake. We walked to the end of barre lake, we acually followed moose tracks down this hill, and found a great flat spot out of the wind down a trail. The moose tracks lead to a creek! How beautiful. Super relaxing to hear it babble by our site.
Winter camping, no joke. El nino gave us a good run. Upon our arrival it was 5 and raining (rained about 25++ cm) and all night the night before. We knew the temp would go down to -25. We are lucky with all our camping fishing, hypothermia skills that we decided to stay our first night.
We had a lovely time when spring stopped and winter came back.

- fg

I posted from my mobile phone to your other post, but I meant to reply on this thread:

Great photos! Where did you rent the Hot Tent from fishinggal?
My Brother-in-law and I were looking at possibly doing a hot tent trip to a back country (crown) lake for a weekend this year to do some fishing.

Thanks in advance!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.