You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/19/2021 11:51 am  #18

Re: cottage lease increases, causes people to walk?

I vaguely recall seeing the rate table one time after checking out leases for sale in the park.  The increases were pretty substantial year after year.  Enough to push people out or deter new people from coming in. 

"Remember you belong to Nature, not it to you." - Grey Owl

2/19/2021 1:08 pm  #19

It is also worth noting that the approach to handling existing properties within a new provincial park has changed since Algonquin was formed. If you look at parks like French River PP, Massassauga PP, or even Killarney you will see that the existing privately owned properties are formally excluded from the parks. This approach eliminates any discussion of whether these properties belong in a provincial park since the properties are not in a provincial park. 

2/19/2021 2:41 pm  #20

just a shame that most of these properties will be be burnt to the gound when empty,,
       about thirty five years ago i had lunch on a dock of a place on rock lake,, the cottage had been empty for many years,, beautiful stone  fire place  and hearth, tongue and groove hardwood flooring, an old flush toilet of some sort, great boat house too,, even the dock was gone.
    i went back by the area on the lake several years ago and every thing was gone,,, when i asked the park gate keeper at the time,, i was told that indeed the buildings were burnt to stop people from using the cottages in bad weather and having  parties,, liability reasons were a big concern!!
    i always worry about old wells around these places and people or pets (off leash )  tumbling in.

Last edited by swedish pimple (2/19/2021 4:00 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.