You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/26/2021 5:33 am  #1

Any plans out there for investing your blood?

Last year due to the late opening of Algonquin I went tripping as soon as I could in June.  What an experience to say the least.

That being said, my mind is trying to tell my body that I should give this a try again this year if covid allows us.

Anyone else have or plan to have trips in June this year and give blood?

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

1/26/2021 7:56 am  #2

Re: Any plans out there for investing your blood?

An old friend of mine used to say that when the black flies were at their worst, the specs were at their best. Had a great experience on a small lake in the park last year. As a friend and I were tossing a frisbee on our beach site in the evening, a hatch was happening and you think the speck fishing was like smallmouth bass fishing. Not a black fly hatch, I'll give you that. But the daytime had its share of bites!

1/26/2021 8:19 am  #3

My wife and I did a week long trip deep into the interior of Algonquin in mid-June a few years back.    Yes, the bugs were pretty bad at some campsites and almost all of the portages.  However, there were also campsites that were relatively bug free and with so few people traveling in the interior we always got really nice campsites.   

1/26/2021 9:39 am  #4

June is a great time to go on trip. Bugs suck but weather is good, water levels are good and the park is empty. You have to plan on exposed sites with lots of wind to fight off the bugs but if you want seclusion and relaxation June is great. When we worked there, my wife and I used to trip a bunch in June because it was crazy easy to get time off. Haven’t done it on a long time though. My kids are very anti bugs so we pretty much skip June now.

1/26/2021 9:46 am  #5

Every June for the reasons already mentioned. Exposed sites and smokey fires at dusk are key. Bugs are a great incentive to get out on the water.

1/26/2021 11:33 am  #6

2nd half of June can be good.

As for the fishing being better in the middle of black fly season? Well, my experience has been that the fishing is a lot worse. I figure that's probably because the fish are stuffing themselves on all the big juicy nymphs trying to hatch. 

1/26/2021 2:31 pm  #7

Just booked May loop trip Welcome, Frank, Louisa! Expecting Frank site to be an adventure from what I have read. At least we will have the lake to ourselves even if we are sleeping on roots on that site.lol. Going the later part of May to avoid ice delays.

Last edited by Canoeist08 (1/26/2021 2:39 pm)

1/26/2021 3:46 pm  #8

Don't forget the longest days of the year are in June!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.