You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/09/2021 7:40 am  #1

Best of 2020

Every year I write a few year in review posts looking at my favorite route/campsite/insert random category here. This year I’ve also added a Lessons Learned post because, well, I made some dumb mistakes this year and hopefully I’ve learned from them. I’ve got them up now if anyone is looking for something to kill 10 minutes of lockdown this weekend.

It’s also got me wondering, what were people’s trip highlights from last summer? I’d say exploring Burnt Island with the family and sitting under multiple waterfalls in between North Tea and Kiosk are right up there for me.

https://allofalgonquin.com/2020/12/29/year-in-review-2020-lessons-learned/

https://allofalgonquin.com/2021/01/03/year-in-review-2020-the-golden-moose-awards-part-one

https://allofalgonquin.com/2021/01/08/year-in-revew-2020-the-golden-moose-awards-part-two

1/09/2021 10:18 am  #2

Re: Best of 2020

Lessons learned area always helpful to share.  I've done it before on this site, where I sort of feared the response because what I did was so painfully and obviously stupid.  Those darn 20-20 hindsight glasses!  At the same time, there is not one among us who hasn't made some really dopey mistakes/decisions, and I think we all recognize the value in sharing them. 

You were searching for a word to describe your decision to go on into the looming thunderstorm, and I fell on two words to describe it: cocky and/or hard-headed.  Bear in mind I'm not calling you that (that's what wives are for!), but we all get that way, and the most recent example for myself is actually found in my daughter.  She's 18, and I had the opportunity to be in the car when she was driving the other day.  She's very good behind the wheel, but I noticed that she's getting a little too sure of herself, a little cocky about it. I could feel the "it won't happen to me" thing going on.  So, I put on my dad had and told her so.  When you allow the...ok, now I'm searching for a word....the humility to slide away, to give way to confidence, or worse, over-confidence, aka cockiness, that's when the blindside happens.  And we all do it.  It isn't a condition unique to 18-year olds.  Worse, it is super-hard to prevent it, especially in those areas where we have a lot of experience - driving, canoeing, hammering nails.  You need some close calls to ground you a little and sometimes need to hammer a thumb.  Which I have done pretty consistently over the years.  You should have seen the thumb-smash I did in September.

Relative to the battle of the wills between you and the 3-year old, let me tell you brother, you aren't winning that battle now, and you aren't winning that battle when they grow to an age when they can reason.  Sorry dude.  You  might get your way now and then, but it will never be because you had the more impressive will.  The only true victories you will ever get are the "I told you so" variety, and that's like scoring an unnecessary empty-netter.  Not satisfying at all.    

1/09/2021 12:01 pm  #3

This is a great post!  Thanks for sharing your lessons learned and experiences...I always enjoy learning from others.

For me, I had two highlights this year:
1.  A canoe trip with my 13 year old into Chibiabos Lake in the summer (my first summer trip in years!)
2. An 8 day Oct/Nov trip with my dad to Basin Lake.  My dad just finished over a year of cancer treatment and we didnt know if he'd ever get back out so this trip was extra special. 

The lesson I learned from these trips is to savor every moment you can with the ones you love and the things you love doing.

1/09/2021 1:28 pm  #4

Great posts Drew. As to how they got the lumber into big trout for the thunder house. Possible they went by float plane as they fly into the trout lake cabin on a regular basis to drop off work crews but more likely they just drove it in. There are logging roads all over the place that can get you near anywhere in the park.

1/11/2021 11:19 am  #5

Always look forward to the Moosies/Golden Moose Awards.  The Lessons Learned is a good addition.  I think highlight for me was just being able to get into the parks over the summer.  Beyond that the face to face encounter with some moose in Mowat stands out - as much for my kids as for me, so maybe it is their enjoyment that stands out.

@ Steve E - hope you can keep getting out there with your dad.  Tough time for him to be in and out of clinics and hospitals.

1/12/2021 2:14 pm  #6

Had  some great 2020 camping moments but the highlight for me may have been sneaking away for a Nov 11th paddle and day trip where it got so warm and sunny that we were in t-shirts. 

In terms of lessons learned. Never will I attempt to use a canoe cart ever again. Looking at you Dickson-Bonfield.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.