You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/05/2021 7:52 am  #1

75 night trip plan for this year (not all at once...lol)

May 17 - May 24                Rock                           8 nights

Jun 28 - Jul 10                    Canisbay                  13 nights

Jul11 - July 24                     Rock                         14 nights

Jul 25-26 (2 nights at Whitney Motel)

Jul 27 - Aug 9                     Traverse                     14 nights

Aug 10 - Aug 24                 Stratton                       15 nights (1st for me....never have camped on Stratton)

Aug 25-26  (2 nights in Petawawa/Pembroke Motel)

Aug 27 - Sep 6                   Sec                             11 nights

TOTAL               75 NIGHTS

This will be the last time I will ever book this many days as it is quite expensive.  But after all, it is camping IN THE GREATEST PARK IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD!!

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

1/05/2021 7:59 am  #2

Re: 75 night trip plan for this year (not all at once...lol)

Quite a sizeable gap there between May 24 and June 28...don't you want to camp with the company of a hundred thousand black flies?

It's actually quite cheap when you compare the cost of a motel/hotel/AirBnB plus food costs with a typical vacation where you often have to eat meals in restaurants.  Heck, even discount airfare to much of Europe would run $700 Canadian and I expect at least a few hundred for destinations in the U.S.

Granted, it's more expensive than staying at home...but there is substantial reward for wandering in the woods!

1/05/2021 8:09 am  #3

PaPaddler......yeah, when you put it that way it is really an inexpensive vacation.  As for the gap and blackflies, thanks to covid last year and with me going in once I could,  I have had enough of those blood sucking creatures even though I had bought an EUREKA bug tent last year.

1/05/2021 9:57 am  #4

Bo,
This is an impressive amount of time. My hat is off to you!

1/05/2021 11:18 am  #5

Have a great time. I really enjoy canis. It’s a nice lake and I’ve had good luck with Lakers (nothing too big though). Rock lake is still one of my favourite lakes. I enjoy the paddle through the river to whitefish and you can’t argue with a day trip to pen lake.

1/05/2021 1:09 pm  #6

@Evan Briden.....seeing I did 67 nights camping in AP last year, I had to beat it this year.  LOL  Like PaPaddler said it is an inexpensive vacation in what I call my first home.  Isn't that what retirement is for?

@Jdbonney...Thanks.  I too like Canisbay and have caught some small lakers over the years.  Love their paddle-in campsites, some of which are just plain excellent ones.  Yes it is a nice paddle to Whitefish and I have even camped on the island a couple of times.  Nothing wrong with Pen either for trout fishing.

1/05/2021 1:18 pm  #7

That has to be some sort of record. Hats off Bo! Was nice running into you on North River Lake a few years ago. Was there two years ago and the fishing was very tough compared to the first time I was there, haven't been back since!

1/05/2021 2:17 pm  #8

boknows wrote:

This will be the last time I will ever book this many days as it is quite expensive.  But after all, it is camping IN THE GREATEST PARK IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD!!

Not sure if it's the greatest - may be one of the best in my book - but it's definitely the least expensive canoe parks that I heard of. Crown land is cheaper - as long as you are an Ontario resident. And I'm not aware of any cheaper way to spend my sunset years... may be in a library...

1/05/2021 2:48 pm  #9

75 days is legendary! Looking at the list there may be some overlap with my trips this year. Haven't booked yet but loving the Achray area these past couple of years especially how close it is to Ottawa.

1/05/2021 3:33 pm  #10

@Lenny...nice meeting you too on North River.....that trip was a bust and remember the snow we got the next morning???  I went back once since we met for 7 nights and caught 1 small speck in the 1/2 lb. range.

@Eddy Turn....absolutely right about crown land as I have availed myself of this opportunity camping on this land close to Algonquin Park.  I personally do not like libraries....they don't allow campfires! 

@RCSpartan....thanks for the legendary comment.  I hope we meet because of some overlap this year with our trips.  I too am from Ottawa and spent many days camping in and around Achray over the years.  I still have not caught a trout in Grand Lake.

1/05/2021 3:47 pm  #11

Have an awesome camping season Bo. I hope I manage to run into you one of these years!

1/06/2021 5:27 am  #12

Uppa wrote:

Have an awesome camping season Bo. I hope I manage to run into you one of these years!

Thanks Uppa.....I'll do my best.. Yes, we have to meet up in person one of these years.  We were suppose to meet each other on White Partridge a few years ago  but the WP Express got derailed due to washouts on the road in that year.  I still owe you a steak.

1/06/2021 7:50 am  #13

boknows wrote:

Thanks Uppa.....I'll do my best.. Yes, we have to meet up in person one of these years.  We were suppose to meet each other on White Partridge a few years ago  but the WP Express got derailed due to washouts on the road in that year.  I still owe you a steak.

It wouldn't have mattered if the WP Express had made it through, I was hunkered down on Round Island waiting out two days of torrential rain followed by snow, and then escaped back to Annie Bay via a 12km logging road portage. I never made it to White Partridge either. That was a memorable trip!

1/06/2021 7:56 am  #14

Uppa wrote:

boknows wrote:

It wouldn't have mattered if the WP Express had made it through, I was hunkered down on Round Island waiting out two days of torrential rain followed by snow, and then escaped back to Annie Bay via a 12km logging road portage. I never made it to White Partridge either. That was a memorable trip!

DUH????   I do remember reading about this and watching your video.  Yup, those WERE the days.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.