You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/04/2021 10:59 am  #18

Re: May ice out trip booked!

ShawnD wrote:

I think Uppa’s explanation is likely correct.

And Speaking of Lavieille. I have pretty good intel on all the island sites except this one.

Anyone set foot on it ?

Never camped on it, but have canoed by it a few times.  It looks from the water to be a good=excellent campsite with good fishing from shore.  Looks like my opinion is different from Uppa's, but he doesn't fish and HAS SEEN it much earlier than I remember seeing it (OMG....I am getting old)....I  have always camped on the small island next to Crow Island when camping on that side of Lavieille.

Like others, my trip is also booked after May 14 (May 17-25).  I am 100% certain that the ice will be out by then and also 100% certain that my reservation will change once I know when the ice is officially out.  I love being part of the many going in on the 1st day you are allowed to interior camp after ice out.

Only 110 days until trout season opens in Algonquin Park (April 24.....last Saturday in April).  

Last edited by boknows (1/04/2021 11:11 am)

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

1/04/2021 11:03 am  #19

If your primary interest is fishing from shore then yes, it would be good for that - if you can find a comfortable place to set up. It's very, very rocky. 

1/04/2021 11:11 am  #20

Okay I may have been confusing that site with a different one further south, as it looks better in my videos that I remembered. My own comments at the time were that the site was "okay" - I wasn't super enthusiastic about it, but neither did I think it was awful. Here's what it looks like from the water. 

[img][/img]

Last edited by Uppa (1/04/2021 11:12 am)

1/04/2021 11:22 am  #21

ok thx Guys. Appreciate the time and the digging around for photos.

That makes at least 6 good to excellent island sites I know of and with only 7 bookable sites on that lake now I should be fine for a few nights there  

Last edited by ShawnD (1/04/2021 11:25 am)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

1/04/2021 11:23 am  #22

Thanks Uppa....your photos bring back good memories of Lavieille fishing.

FYI, a small plane crashed into Lavieille on June 18, 2001.  I was camping and fishing the Crow River when this unfortunate accident happened.

Last edited by boknows (1/04/2021 11:36 am)

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.