You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/03/2021 10:33 am  #1

May ice out trip booked!

I followed through on my New Year's resolution and booked my May ice out trip.

It will be on Rock Lake for 8 nights, with fishing also in Pen, Galeairy, Gem and Sandy.

Here's hoping that covid and stubborn lakes don't interfere!

Last edited by boknows (1/03/2021 10:35 am)

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

1/03/2021 10:55 am  #2

Re: May ice out trip booked!

Booked mine awhile ago too Bo

Weeklong loop stopping on Crow River, Lavieille, Little Dickson, Round Island and Booth.

I had to call in to book. Asked a few questions. For 2021 still no need to check in, just print your reservation confirmation.

Change and cancellation fees have been reinstated for this year though.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

1/03/2021 10:56 am  #3

Will the Nunavut flag be flying?

1/03/2021 11:32 am  #4

@ShawnD.....really nice trip for fishing for specks and Lakers.  If you have never been to Little Dickson, this is a lake similar to Dickson in the fishing department. Thanks for the info re reservation changes, etc. as I forgot to ask.

@John McClane...Absolutely, right beside my Canadian flag.  Initially, hoping to get campsite close to portage to Pen.

Last edited by boknows (1/03/2021 11:34 am)

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

1/03/2021 12:10 pm  #5

i just phoned and was told that reservations will be accepted may 14 going forward,, before that  date in may, it is first come first served for the interior canoeing at the nearest access permit office,,  so checking in is required before may 14th? 
    i do not get it?

Last edited by swedish pimple (1/03/2021 12:11 pm)

1/03/2021 12:15 pm  #6

ShawnD wrote:

Booked mine awhile ago too Bo

Weeklong loop stopping on Crow River, Lavieille, Little Dickson, Round Island and Booth.

I had to call in to book. Asked a few questions. For 2021 still no need to check in, just print your reservation confirmation.

Change and cancellation fees have been reinstated for this year though.

Thanks for the info. What date is your trip? Are they accepting bookings for earlier than the 14th already, if you call in?

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

1/03/2021 12:37 pm  #7

Hey Trippy

My trip is May 15 -21.I had to call due to distance restrictions.

I don’t think you can book before the 14th.

If ice is out early maybe they open it up before the 14th but as it stands right now I think the 14th is the earliest you can book.

Happy to be corrected.

Last edited by ShawnD (1/03/2021 12:41 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.

1/03/2021 12:41 pm  #8

Yeah that's what I thought the rules were just wanted to confirm it wasn't different if you called in

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

1/03/2021 1:42 pm  #9

as i mentioned,, first come, first served, for interior access before may 14th. you have to check in at the access point office to get a permit for your area,,, according to the reservation phone rep,,

1/03/2021 2:13 pm  #10

Family and I have a trip booked for may 14-16. That’s the earliest they are allowing reservations. I would like to think that they would open reservations earlier as soon as ice out is declared so people wouldn’t have to go to a permit office but that’s sensical so I doubt it will happen.

1/03/2021 9:24 pm  #11

Probably a good thing they've reinstated cancellation fees. Might make it a bit easier booking mid summer this year, but I guess that all depends on where the world is at as well. Also glad they're keeping the self serve permit system. 

Bo, Shawn, sounds like you've got some pretty nice plans already in place. I've been wanting to do your route for a while Shawn but just haven't gotten around to it yet. Looking forward to hearing about it.

I haven't booked my first trip yet, but I was definitely daydreaming about routes today. I'm hoping to do a couple of nights towards the end of May, but it'll probably be a while before I can nail down either dates or a route. 

1/04/2021 8:56 am  #12

Lavieille has pretty much hit "required yearly pilgrimage" territory for me. It's officially my favourite place in Algonquin. 

I've only just started thinking about Spring camping and have mostly been AWOL in general - busy as hell at work, buying a house, selling a house, getting ready to move cities... life has been crazy. I think my Spring trip is likely going to be out of Achray, as I rarely get to that side of the park and there's some unexplored territory for me there as a result. Will head through those small lakes parallel to Grand and spend some time on Barron and Green Leaf, and then do that monster 5070m portage back to Grand that climbs 150 meters along the way. At least that's the current theory!

I know with the way camping popularity has gone crazy maybe I should be booking something, but the ice-out trip is too dependent on, well, when the ice goes out to book in advance - I'll just end up paying change fees to rebook it based on conditions. 

Last edited by Uppa (1/04/2021 8:57 am)

1/04/2021 10:23 am  #13

swedish pimple wrote:

as i mentioned,, first come, first served, for interior access before may 14th. you have to check in at the access point office to get a permit for your area,,, according to the reservation phone rep,,

I would be reluctant to put any stock in statements from phone reps. Say for instance that ice out is in April this year, will they leave it at first come first served leading up to May 14th? Highly doubt that. Recipe for a poop show for sure. After numerous emails last year with park staff and specific questions only to be brushed off with non answers to questions I didn't ask it would seem that front line staff have no idea what the PTB have decided or will decide. We will not know until ice out as to what plan they will come up with.

We have booked into Pen for those first bunch of bookable days and plan to go earlier to avoid bugs if the opportunity arises. Time will tell how or if that works out but do not put any trust in statements from Ontario Parks until we approach ice out time. It will save you some grief and angst.

Anyways, looking forward to a better 2021 and a paddle in the park

1/04/2021 10:45 am  #14

In past years as soon as the official start date for Spring camping is determined (based on conditions and the flyover), the reservation system has been updated to match. So if they decided on April 18th that camping will be allowed as of April 20th, you'll be able to book online for April 20th... unless they're changing that, which is doubtful. 

1/04/2021 10:46 am  #15

I think Uppa’s explanation is likely correct.

And Speaking of Lavieille. I have pretty good intel on all the island sites except this one.

Anyone set foot on it ?

Last edited by ShawnD (1/04/2021 10:48 am)

1/04/2021 10:53 am  #16

I checked it out about 3 years back and would grade it "okay at best". You have much better options on Lavieille. 

1/04/2021 10:56 am  #17

Thx Uppa.. helpful .. when arriving on a lake as big as Lavieille I like to have my campsite options prioritized.. don't what to paddle all over hells half acre..

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.