You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/23/2020 6:04 pm  #18

Re: Trip planning for next year.....spent 67 nights this year in the Park

yellowcanoe wrote:

boknows wrote:

WOW....I would give my right arm, even my left one, to have a lease on a lake in AP. LOL  

Cabins on leased land are not as expensive as you might think.   There were a number of listings on the realtor.ca site this year, some listed for not much more than $100,000.  There are some catches though.   First, every time the province extends the leases they impose more restrictions on how you can use the property.  Secondly, under the new leases (the previous leases expired in 2017) the annual lease fee's are increasing significantly.   Some listings alluded to the lease fee increasing to $7500 next year.   My wife knows someone who owns a water access only cabin on Rock Lake and their lease fee was going to be increased to $10,000 a year.  I don't know how you feel about it but I'd have a hard time justifying paying $10,000 a year on a lease for a primitive water access cabin.

In a heart beat Yellowcanoe, I would pay $10,000/year for a lease on this cabin you speak of!  The main reason being this cabin would give me access to many trout lakes in the Rock Lake area, and other areas of the Park, have friends over who love Algonquin Park like I do, trip with them, and a cabin to wind down after my/our interior tripping to these trout lakes.  Having property in Algonquin Park has always been a dream of mine.  Now,  I am 71 years old and feel that I missed out on my dream due to not having the money to buy this property as well as  marriages and kids and life getting in the way..  But still being able to go to Algonquin Park and interior trip is the next best thing for me.  We are going to have to agree that we disagree on this point.
Will be interesting to read what other AAers think about this.  You definitely could be right on this subject and I could be totally out to lunch.  Hopefully, others will voice their opinions.

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

1/06/2021 10:37 am  #19

I also think it's a little much but it's all relative to how much expendable income one has. One big problem I have is that Algonquin Park is closed for ice fishing, which I don't have a problem with from a conservation standpoint but there wouldn't be much to do in the winter. 

1/07/2021 9:33 am  #20

@Lenny....hot tenting  cross country skiing  skating at rink at Mew's Lake walking through woods with video camera ice fishing outside of Park, etc

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

1/21/2021 6:13 pm  #21

I got in 2 of my 3 usual solo trips though the second trip I cut a bit short when my shoulder got unhappy with me. 13 nights total.

Usually do another few long weekend type trips with a group but those were obviously off.

Doing rehab work on my shoulder and hope to be back in my usual 30 night range even if it is all solo.  Maybe it's time to plan a trip across the park or a 2 week plus loop.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.