You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/21/2020 8:23 am  #1

Trip planning for next year.....spent 67 nights this year in the Park

I am currently in the process of planning my interior camping trips for next year.  As the heading states, I interior camped this year for 67 nights on Rock, Proulx, Opeongo, Kioshkokwi, Lauder, Club, Cedar, Aura Lee, Galeairy, Sec and Traverse.  My longest was 23 nights on Sec (will never do this again as I changed sites 3 times as I was getting bored with the site I was on),

Next year my goal is 75 interior nights camping in Algonquin, God willing.  Credit card is raring to book trips.

How about you?  Because of covid how many nights in the Park did you do, interior or otherwise.  And what about next year?

Bo

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

12/21/2020 9:38 am  #2

Re: Trip planning for next year.....spent 67 nights this year in the Park

I did 3 trips... 3 nights, 7 nights, and 2 nights... so 15 days total. That's about average for me since I have to work with vacation days etc.

I'm always planning for the following season though I'll usually juggle around some route ideas and then make last minute changes the week of the trip depending on weather and some other factors.

COVID didn't really affect my plans this year, other than not getting to do an ice out trip (which I've been wanting to do for the past few years). It definitely added some restrictions when booking though since the park was significantly busier than usual.

2021 I'll hopefully do an ice out, a mid-late August, one or two in September, and an early October.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

12/21/2020 9:46 am  #3

67- that's impressive. I did 20+ which is around avg. Was worried when ice out was cancelled but made it up later in the fall which luckily this year had some great weather. 
How many more weeks before iceout???

12/21/2020 10:35 am  #4

I only spent 4 days in the park this year.  It was a special trip though as my wife and I took our infant son on his first back country trip, and her first in almost 2 years.  Also missed my ice out trip down the Nip this year, and beginning to think we will be missing 2021 again at this rate. 

I did however spend 12 days in Temagami (2 different trips) and 4 in QE2, which were all much less busy than my one trip to APP. 

67 days is pretty amazing Bo, I'm envious.

12/21/2020 10:36 am  #5

TRIPPYTHINGS.....I too missed my May ice out trout trip.  Not impressed.  Nothing wrong with 15 nights.

RCSPARTAN.....I think 20 is pretty good.  For me, it certainly helps being retired, single, bored living in Ottawa, tired of covid, and didn't want to wear masks as often as I was doing.  I even purchased a Eureka bug tent as I was on Sec Lake almost for the entire month of June (with many trips to Petawawa for extra supplies, ice and fire wood).  I used my bug tent until almost the middle of August to get rid of those pesky flying insects.  My last trip was on Traverse in early November searching for Mr. Muskie....but got skunked!  Next year I will try again, or possibly Smith Lake.

Last edited by boknows (12/21/2020 10:38 am)

12/21/2020 11:58 am  #6

I had zero interior trips in APP this year; your country wouldn't allow me to recreate north of the border...and for good reason!

I had 10 sleeps in a tent/hammock in the woods and another 9 or 10 in cabins this year and caught fish in NY, NJ, PA and DE.  I didn't shoot a bear or a deer...although I put quite a bit of time in scouting and hunting bear.

Any year that I can be in the woods is a good year though!

Be well, Bo, and keep going to the woods!

12/21/2020 1:36 pm  #7

boknows wrote:

...and didn't want to wear masks as often as I was doing.  

Ironically, I loved wearing my mask during my Thanksgiving trip when it was freezing and windy on the water lol

But yeah, it was really nice to put COVID at the back of my mind for a short period of time. It was weird coming back from my September trip and hearing from my family "numbers doubled while you were gone, we're now at 400 cases daily" and I just thought "Oh yeah, I almost forgot about COVID. Well this sucks."

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

12/21/2020 4:01 pm  #8

PaPaddler wrote:

I had zero interior trips in APP this year; your country wouldn't allow me to recreate north of the border...and for good reason!

I had 10 sleeps in a tent/hammock in the woods and another 9 or 10 in cabins this year and caught fish in NY, NJ, PA and DE.  I didn't shoot a bear or a deer...although I put quite a bit of time in scouting and hunting bear.

Any year that I can be in the woods is a good year though!

Be well, Bo, and keep going to the woods!

PaPaddler...I was "Born" to canoe, fish, and camp in the woods.  To be honest, I feel safer in the woods than I do in Ottawa.   

Bo

12/22/2020 12:24 am  #9

Bo, that's 18% of the year!  WOW!  I'm with PaPaddler.  Zero this year.  Ice out trip and Fall trip were blown away.  Hoping for 2021.  The Magic 8 Ball says "maybe".  I am doubtful about a Spring trip, and semi-hopeful for a Fall trip.

But 67 nights in 1 year is remarkable.  For me, getting 6 nights in the park in a year is a big year, and really that's about enough for me.  That means two 4-day/3-night trips.  I've tracked this believe it or not, and  between my "old era" (early 80's through 2000) and "new era" (2016 through "now"), my grand total number of nights in the park, as near as I can tell, drumroll please, is 66 nights.  That goes with 85 days. 

12/22/2020 7:46 am  #10

@ Bo - "Born" to canoe, fish and camp in the woods...I see what you did there!  ;-)

12/22/2020 8:38 am  #11

bo,, you truly are a " Ottawa 67 "

12/22/2020 11:00 am  #12

@MooseWhizzer Dave......as I said previously being retired, single, being able to change reservations with no charge, being 71 years old so time is running short, and a love for Algonquin Park (plus covid) all played a key role for my 67 nights. I even stayed in a motel in Whitney for 7 nights in May and just went in and out of the Park because we were not allowed to interior camp yet.   Looks like the same is going to happen next year unless we get a hand on this epidemic.  AND I AM PLANNING, GOD WILLING, FOR 75 NIGHTS NEXT YEAR.

@PaPaddler,,,,yup, you nailed it.

@swedish pimple.....I don't even follow the Ottawa 67's...next year they should change their name to Ottawa 75's. LOL 

Last edited by boknows (12/22/2020 11:04 am)

12/22/2020 11:28 am  #13

hey bo, there is a camp fire song waiting to be written by you " back in the summer of 67 "

12/22/2020 12:06 pm  #14

@swedish pimple.......I will work on it......Bryan Adams will be proud!

12/22/2020 4:25 pm  #15

Bo, 67 nights is awesome. And 23 on Sec Lake ... you must have known that lake like the back of your hand by the time you left if you didn't already. 

My own camping numbers aren't as impressive. I totaled 8 nights on trip. I'm lucky enough to have access to a lease in the Park though. With COVID it was tough to just take off on a trip and leave my wife with the kids, but we did get to spend a good amount of family time on Canoe Lake.

For next summer, I don't have any specific plans apart from wanting to spend more nights on trip than I did this year. I've talked my wife into letting me do an extended (by my standards) trip as it's my 40th next year, so I'm looking forward to that. (I also just put in an order for a solo boat from Back Country Custom Canoes, so I'm very much looking forward to trying that out). If I can get to the mid teens for nights out I'll consider that a pretty successful summer.

12/23/2020 10:53 am  #16

AlgonquinLakes wrote:

Bo, 67 nights is awesome. And 23 on Sec Lake ... you must have known that lake like the back of your hand by the time you left if you didn't already. 

My own camping numbers aren't as impressive. I totaled 8 nights on trip. I'm lucky enough to have access to a lease in the Park though. With COVID it was tough to just take off on a trip and leave my wife with the kids, but we did get to spend a good amount of family time on Canoe Lake.

For next summer, I don't have any specific plans apart from wanting to spend more nights on trip than I did this year. I've talked my wife into letting me do an extended (by my standards) trip as it's my 40th next year, so I'm looking forward to that. (I also just put in an order for a solo boat from Back Country Custom Canoes, so I'm very much looking forward to trying that out). If I can get to the mid teens for nights out I'll consider that a pretty successful summer.

WOW....I would give my right arm, even my left one, to have a lease on a lake in AP. LOL  Hopefully you will get to do your trip on your 40th.

As for Sec, I already new this lake as I have camped on it since 1967....different lake back then with room for 2 trailers also near access point.  I will never do 23 nights on any lake again.

Here's hoping for an early 2021 spring and we are able to do an ice-out trip.

Bo

12/23/2020 4:55 pm  #17

boknows wrote:

WOW....I would give my right arm, even my left one, to have a lease on a lake in AP. LOL  

Cabins on leased land are not as expensive as you might think.   There were a number of listings on the realtor.ca site this year, some listed for not much more than $100,000.  There are some catches though.   First, every time the province extends the leases they impose more restrictions on how you can use the property.  Secondly, under the new leases (the previous leases expired in 2017) the annual lease fee's are increasing significantly.   Some listings alluded to the lease fee increasing to $7500 next year.   My wife knows someone who owns a water access only cabin on Rock Lake and their lease fee was going to be increased to $10,000 a year.  I don't know how you feel about it but I'd have a hard time justifying paying $10,000 a year on a lease for a primitive water access cabin.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.