You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/07/2020 10:06 am  #1

Paddling Gloves

Hey Everyone

Anyone have any winners for colder weather paddling gloves?

Right now I'm looking at something like the below. I have some sealskinz socks and a couple of hats both are pretty good but looking for all options on the gloves.

https://www.sealskinz.ca/products/waterproof-all-weather-multi-activity-glove-with-fusion-control

https://www.sealskinz.ca/products/waterproof-all-weather-lightweight-glove-with-fusion-control

Last edited by ShawnD (11/07/2020 11:34 am)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

11/08/2020 12:29 pm  #2

Re: Paddling Gloves

I have a pair of early model Sealskinz gloves and they work well. They are waterproof and have good dexterity.  I find my hands do sweat a bit in them (I also have the socks and find the same thing) but they do a great job of keeping wind and water out.  The ones you posted look way nicer than the ones I have!

11/09/2020 10:44 am  #3

Level Six seem good. The pair I currently have are a bit thick, but they have lighter weight ones. 

11/10/2020 10:46 am  #4

I just use the cheapie neoprene fingerless gloves for fishermen, they drain well, keep your hands warm, last a couple of seasons, and don't hurt as much if you lose one like I invariably do before they wear out.

11/10/2020 12:34 pm  #5

scoutergriz wrote:

I just use the cheapie neoprene fingerless gloves for fishermen, they drain well, keep your hands warm, last a couple of seasons, and don't hurt as much if you lose one like I invariably do before they wear out.

I took a $20 pair from Canadian Tire on our NWT trip a couple of years ago. My gloves were shredded within a few days at which point I also realized that the palms were just a rubbery material and only the backs were neoprene. When I got back I went looking for a better pair and started with Level Six since other folks on our trip had Level Six gloves that weren't showing any wear by the end of the trip. 

11/11/2020 6:49 am  #6

"I took a $20 pair from Canadian Tire on our NWT trip a couple of years ago. My gloves were shredded within a few days at which point I also realized that the palms were just a rubbery material and only the backs were neoprene. When I got back I went looking for a better pair and started with Level Six since other folks on our trip had Level Six gloves that weren't showing any wear by the end of the trip."
interesting, the ones I've been getting have a leather patch on the palm that extends to the fingertips

11/11/2020 8:36 am  #7

I've tried wearing gloves only once, on a 2019 ice out trip.  They were neoprene, I dunno who made them, but they didn't allow my hands any sliding motion on the paddle.  It felt like the gloves were coated with gently used duct tape.  It did not take very long at all before my elbow (one of my old man aches and pains that sometimes rears its head) said "No.", so I quit wearing them.  It wasn't exactly swimming weather, but the water wasn't bad on my hands.

Anyway, are the gloves being discussed here kind of sticky to the paddle?  

11/11/2020 11:18 pm  #8

Check out NRS products. A variety  of thicknesses to suit different applications.

11/12/2020 9:57 am  #9

MooseWhizzer Dave wrote:

Anyway, are the gloves being discussed here kind of sticky to the paddle?  

A lot of the will be and even the neoprene ones often have some extra grip on the palm. Mostly it's just a matter of loosening your grip and getting adjusted to it. 

I don't normally wear gloves on a spring fishing trip either, but on that NWT trip the water was cold enough I was wearing them all day, even as it became more and more questionable whether there was enough structure left to count as a glove. The 'trophies' are now stapled to a shelve in the workshop as a reminder of the trip. :-) 

12/10/2020 5:31 pm  #10

For those who might be interested .. I ended up ordering these:
https://www.sealskinz.ca/products/waterproof-all-weather-multi-activity-glove-with-fusion-control

No duty, shipping or tax.. so $85 CAD even.. fairly quick shipping from the UK.
Well made.. ran them under water for 2 minutes. 100% waterproof.
Will give them a shot as my colder weather paddling gloves.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.