You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/02/2020 9:18 am  #1

Wanda Spruyt's "Glamping, Campsite Numbers, and Newbies" (Annie Bay)

Wanda Spruyt has submitted a delightful two-part (Canisbay Lake and Annie Bay) trip-log, which is available here in PDF format .. http://www.algonquinadventures.com/triplogs/WandaSpruyt5/2020WandaSpruytAnnieBay.pdf

10/03/2020 8:01 am  #2

Re: Wanda Spruyt's "Glamping, Campsite Numbers, and Newbies" (Annie Bay)

What a terrific report.  I have never had a run-in with somebody misunderstanding the backcountry reservation system, but having read reports here I know it happens.  I HAVE, however, had run ins with lecherous red squirrels throwing pinecones around and laughing at me after various misfortunes.  They don't seem to miss a thing. 

A few years ago on Islet, there were mice running around at dusk.  Went to hang the food bag, and put it on the ground to tie a knot.  Mouse came out of a hole under a tree as I was putting it down, so his nose just about met it when it touched the ground.  I lifted it back up, he went to the hole.  The two of us repeated that dance a couple of times in succession until I could get the bag hung, and even stomping the ground very near him didn't phase him at all.  But nobody chewed into anything.  

Glad the elbows are doing as well as they are!  That had to hurt like H when you did it.

10/03/2020 10:02 am  #3

Great report indeed! 

I always thought chipmunks were the worst scourge at a campsite until our last trip... It was the middle of the night when I woke up to something running past my head. My wife immediately awoke as well and proclaimed 'there's a mouse in the tent!!' Sure enough, we turned on our headlamps and there it was. I opened the rear door and we fortunately managed to shoo it out. The next morning I saw where it had chewed through the screen of our trusty old Mutha Hubba. I typically have a 'no crumb allowed in the tent' policy and realized I had inadvertently violated it - my bad, and lesson learned!

Last edited by hiker72 (10/03/2020 10:03 am)

10/03/2020 2:26 pm  #4

@ moosewhizzer. My armS were very sore indeed after I fell, went down like a bag of cement. Catching myself on both my arms, it also tore all of my arm muscles in the lower arms, and that caused the most pain.
Time Is supposed to heal all of it. The most difficult While camping was to sit down on the ground, my arms would not support my weight yet. And sitting down on the ground without using your arms is actually quite difficult after the age of 60. Thankfully there was a lot of laughter at the necessary antics.

@ hiker72. Thankfully we haven’t had to deal with mice yet, and the aggressiveness of the squirrels and chipmunks surprised us.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.