You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/21/2020 2:08 pm  #1

Giardia Questions

Could someone get a Guardia infection after getting a very small amount of water in the mouth from a paddle splash when paddling in an infected pond?

9/21/2020 11:21 pm  #2

Re: Giardia Questions

I'm no scientist, but I would fall on the side of its possible.  Ingestion is required, so I guess if the concentration in that specific location is really high, and the water went down the hatch, then I suppose it could happen.  

9/22/2020 7:44 am  #3

Yes - especially if that pond is a beaver pond. It isn't something I generally worry about, but if you are wondering if the symptoms you or a companion are experiencing could be giardia, then yeah it is possible. 

9/23/2020 4:58 pm  #4

I was on a pretty gungy looking beaver pond and got no more than a quarter mouthful, which was spit out. It was pretty gross, but I worried the worst was yet to come. So far so good.

9/23/2020 8:53 pm  #5

Hi Joe, when did this occur? I think if you make it past the week+ mark without symptoms, you are golden. I'd say your chances are pretty slim based on your description. I've had giardia at least once (tested positive) but likely twice based on symptoms. The second time I didn't bother to get tested as it went away on its own after about 5 days. Not the most fun thing to suffer through, but mercifully it's only temporary, and modern medicine works well with it if needed 

Last edited by hiker72 (9/23/2020 8:54 pm)

9/23/2020 9:00 pm  #6

It happened Sunday. I think I'll be good. I've heard the horror stories so I'm just being a little nervous I guess.

9/29/2020 7:59 am  #7

I would say yes! 2 of my buddies went crazy far north about 10-12 years ago. Like past Cochrane in search of huge pike and walleye lakes. When they got to a lake my 1 buddy took his retainer out of his mouth and gave it a quick swish in the lake. He was laid up in about 4 hours. He couldn't even move. And ya both ends.... They had no idea what was wrong. So my other buddy had the duty of driving all the way back home about 8 hours after they got there. So after tests from the Hospital they said "you have beaver fever". I've always practiced safe water precautions but this is always in the back of my mind. Scares me to think I used to drink right out of the lake in the mid 90's. Spring thaw thou lol. 

I'm just gone Fishin!

9/29/2020 8:14 am  #8

Splakin; "Scares me to think I used to drink right out of the lake in the mid 90's. Spring thaw thou lol"
I was up in Temagami a few weeks ago and all of our water came straight from the lake just as I'd done several times previously.
I don't know if I have an iron constitution or what, but have never caught it up there.
I did catch it on the Moon river though even though I was using a filter, I found out later that my buddy dropped it in the mud then rinsed it off in the river, contaminating the clean water outlet

9/29/2020 9:20 am  #9

scary situation,, i thought that i had beaver fever,, turned out to be the whiskey and beans,,

10/02/2020 1:32 pm  #10

I was very much under the impression that Giardia took at least a week to kick in. Sounds like something else to me frankly. Maybe he also contracted Giardia- but a 4 hour response sounds unlikely. And if it were that easy to contract wouldn’t you get it 1/10 times you swam? Hard to swim without getting at least a little water in your mouth.

10/02/2020 3:20 pm  #11

People don't usually swim in a beaver pond - not that beaver ponds are the only place to find giardia. Given the diagnosis was provided by the hospital after testing, then I have no doubts that incident was giardiasis. 

10/03/2020 7:43 am  #12

I would also hope people don’t usually wash their retainers in beaver ponds :D.

The CDC, Mayo Clinic, and healthlineBC, all state that giardiasis typically takes 1-3 weeks to become symptomatic, with BC noting you can start to show symptoms in as little as 3 days. (https://www.healthlinkbc.ca/health-topics/hw186436). All 3 also note that symptoms include diarrhea, but I found no reference to vomiting. And it’s also pretty clear that many people don’t show symptoms even if they’re infected. So I have no doubt that this fellow had contracted Giardia at some point, I just really don’t see how 4 hours after rinsing a retainer in a lake, that parasite can be held responsible for his clearly very uncomfortable situation. It’s just not how that infection progresses.

However, it’s a good reminder as to the need to be cognizant of various potential infection pathways open to you out in the woods. Any number of other infections you could pick up in the water, food poisoning, etc, can all make for a very bad trip.

10/03/2020 7:49 am  #13

Robw; I don't think NVM is doubting that He had giardia, I thing his point is that you don't develop symptoms within 4 hours. Generally symptoms take about a week to show up, and it can come from a multitude of sources, did he sit at a picnic table that rodents could have contaminated, or stop for a meal where the cook forgot to wash their hands, did a mouse get into your gear over the winter? These are all possible scenarios, and more likely than a single mouth of water containing enough parasites to have such an immediate effect.
https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/giardia/general-info.html

10/03/2020 7:59 am  #14

The reason this is important is that people will often be so afraid of drinking water (due to potential Giardia infection), that they can get themselves into a pretty serious state of dehydration. As far as I've ever heard, in a place like Algonquin, the suggestion is always to stay properly hydrated (let's say, in an emergency situation where you can no longer treat the water, but you also can't just get to civilization) rather than to avoid the water. One reason that I've heard that specific advice given is that the symptoms take long enough to kick in that you would often be out of the woods by then. Anecdotally, I had a family member contract it (lab verified), and it took about 2 weeks after ingestion of the water source for symptoms to appear.

10/04/2020 2:23 pm  #15

What does the risk of giardia have to do with the risk of dehydration? You mitigate the risk of dehydration by carrying enough water that you can treat the next batch before dehydrating. On a hot summer day that can be 2L per person, refilling and treating each 1L container as you empty it. 

Drinking straight from an open water body is not a safe method of preventing dehydration as it exposes you to other risks. Of course giardia is no the only water borne illness, as you alluded E. coli is just as dangerous and much faster acting. E. coli could show up anywhere, like just around the corner of the bay from the floating deer or moose carcass that we get reported every year or so. 

10/05/2020 12:58 pm  #16

Agreed. As I mentioned, in a case where you can’t treat your water (like an emergency where you’ve lost or broken you treatment device, or you’ve gotten properly lost in the woods and weren’t prepared to stay out), it’s better, in places like Algonquin, to drink the cleanest surface water you can find than to go into dehydration. And one reason for that is that Giardia, which is pretty commonly encountered in the woods, typically takes long enough to kick in that you would be back in civilization anyway and could get treatment if necessity. Don’t become dehydrated because you’re afraid of getting sick. But obviously none of that supersedes the need for some sort of water treatment plan. There are plenty of people who go to Algonquin and voluntarily drink untreated lake water, but I’m not among them nor is it ever recommended.

10/05/2020 1:46 pm  #17

nvm wrote:

... in a case where you can’t treat your water (like an emergency where you’ve lost or broken you treatment device, or you’ve gotten properly lost in the woods and weren’t prepared to stay out), it’s better, in places like Algonquin, to drink the cleanest surface water you can find than to go into dehydration. ...

Ok, I can agree with that. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.