You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/14/2020 8:00 am  #1

4 Days on Chibiabos with My Son

My son and I got out for a nice 3 night trip (base camp) to Chibiabos Lake, off Tim Lake.  The portage in was a brutal 345 meters as it was full of mud and we slipped all over the place (I fell 4 times on my first trip through with the pack).  The lake itself was nice (I much prefer small lakes) although the fishing was non-existent and there were loads of leeches. 

Had a bit of an issue on the first day when we got there, and this may cause some debate...I booked permits for both sites on the lake (there are only 2) for the first 2 nights as we wanted our choice of campsites and wanted the lake to ourselves.  I know this may be frowned upon but we went mid-week to a lake that is on a low maintenance route and showed availability almost all summer.  There were thoughts that my dad might join us as well and we wanted to keep that option open (he snores like a mad-man so the second site here would have been perfect for him as it's walkable to the other site).  We arrived at the first site around noon and it was awful (very small, bees nest right by the fire pit, terrible tent pad and no good trees for a bear hang).  So we ventured over to the other site.  The reservation system showed only 1 group on the lake the night before so we assumed the second site would be open.  When we got there we saw 3 tents and no canoes.  Perplexed we opted to head back to the first site and wait, as we know folks have until 2 pm to vacate.  Finally around 3:30 pm we heard the group come back to the site.  We paddled over and I was surprised to see a group of park staff camped.  I asked when they were planning on jumping off and they advised that they were hoping to spend the night again.  I explained that we had paid for both permits and that the other site was terrible and asked if they would at least consider trading sites.  To their credit they were more than happy to accommodate and switched immediately.  I didn't know how far I was prepared to push it seeing as I did book both sites and that may not be the most ethical thing to do. Regardless we were pleased to have a MUCH better site for our 3 nights.   The park guy said they didn't check to see if the lake was booked and were just hoping a spot would be available...that didn't really impress me as if another group had booked and maybe weren't comfortable approaching them, that group would have been out of a site.  On the way out we ran into two wardens (great guys) and they were not impressed either and said they'd look into it and that should never happen.

Anyway we set up camp and had a really enjoyable 4 days!  This was the first time I hadn't brought my camera gear into the park and although I felt a little lost at times without it, I have to say it was a bit liberating not having to carry and worry about it all.  The iPhone 11 took good enough pictures as far as I'm concerned, to at least capture the memories...

The kid (13) did great at lugging gear and keeping a smiling face.  I brought a small cooler and it worked out really well.  I froze 6 Gatorades and used those as the ice for the trip.  I also put frozen spaghetti sauce, frozen chili, milk, eggs and precooked bacon in it.  It kept everything fresh for the full trip.  It went up in the tree at night with the food bag.

The first campsite on the lake was not good at all.  Very small and claustrophobic feeling.  Great view but that's about it.

My son has taken to cooking and wanted to do the steaks.  I didn't argue

We did some exploring via canoe (down the Tim to the portage) and also on foot (along the logging road that runs along the north side of Chibiabos).

Yes...there were leeches...like 6 inch long leeches lol.  The swimming was short lived.

Solitude...

This is what it's all about in my opinion.  I really enjoy the "camping" part of tripping...the relaxing, exploring and just slowing down in general...

I tried making bannock for the first time.  Tasted great but was a little doughy in the middle.  I think I made it too thick.  Any suggestions on how to make it not so sticky?  I struggled getting it to go thinner in the pan as it would just stick to my hands or the spatchula.

My son tried the stern for the first time. Zig-zagged our way across the lake but he got the hang of it (and the J-stroke) really quick.

After 40 years of using a crap life jacket, I finally got myself a decent one.  What a difference paddling in something that's actually comfortable!  Got a great deal on it as well from Algonquin Outfitters...regular $140 for $65!

Was able to leave a nice pile of wood for the next group, and even found a large chunk of bark to cover it and keep it dry

Had one hour of torrential rain but it cleared right up shortly after and the sun came beaming through.  This right here is why I love my 16 x 16 MEC Supertarp...stayed bone dry underneath and enjoyed the smell of a smouldering fire and rain on the tarp

Here's a little tour of our campsite with the amazing sounds of loons in the background.  This sums up what I love about Algonquin...

Thanks for looking!

8/14/2020 9:36 am  #2

Re: 4 Days on Chibiabos with My Son

Looks beautiful, as usual with your photographic skill!

As far as the bannock or any item that is done on the outside but doughy in the middle - a little lower heat and longer cook time usually provides thorough baking.  Tough to do on a burner, perhaps a bit easier over coals...but not a raging fire for sure.

8/17/2020 10:05 am  #3

Thanks PaPaddler!  I should have brought my Outoback Oven for the bannock I guess...that likely would have helped a bit.  Or even just bring the scorch plate from it to get it up off the burner a bit...still tasty though!

8/17/2020 10:43 am  #4

Great pics Steve.

RE: Park staff. So weird... We're they doing maintenance, or just having a vacation?

This kind of thing has me being pushed further and further north. Haven't camped south of NTL this year... Just en route to Temagami right now. No fees to pay, no sites to book... On the other hand, you can make your own in a pinch as well.

8/17/2020 10:49 am  #5

Thanks!  They said they were doing trail and campsite maintenance out on Big Bob and the portages and they did have the gear.  Still weird that the actual Wardens at the end of the trip basically said there shouldn't be any park staff in that area and they seemed quite concerned about it...

I like your idea of exploring further north.  I really need to find out more about the Temagami area.  Ive been there once years ago but don't remember much.  Is it mainly crown land you utilize or do you go to the park area(s)?

8/18/2020 2:44 pm  #6

Terrific pictures!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.