You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/06/2020 4:08 am  #1

How bad does the Crow River get below Big Crow (Water Levels)?

I've got a trip coming up in a couple of weeks that has me headed up the Crow River from Lavieille to Big Crow. 2-3 years ago I did this same stretch in the opposite direction in mid-July, and remember having a fair number of times I had to get out and drag. Once beyond the 1220m portage water levels were fine, it was the section right near Big Crow that was the issue. 

This year I think water levels are quite low overall. Should I be concerned I might be walking the entire upper part of the Crow River?

7/08/2020 4:32 pm  #2

Re: How bad does the Crow River get below Big Crow (Water Levels)?

Hi,
I did this stretch in the fall of 2018 part of a 10 day solo.  I was going the opposite direction as you.  (With the current)  I did utilize all the portages but at no point did I have to get out of the canoe and drag.  Not sure what the water levels are like this year versus 2 years ago.  I loved the area, and will be planning a return again this fall.  Hope you have a wonderful trip!  and if you like brook trout that's a good area to fish.

7/08/2020 4:39 pm  #3

Did that as part of an August trip 4 or 5 years ago.  Don't recall any issues with that section.  It was a higher water year though

7/09/2020 4:17 pm  #4

Thanks for the info folks, it's appreciated!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.