You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/08/2020 4:35 pm  #18

Re: How are the bugs?

TrevaH wrote:

Was up in Cedar lake area of Algonquin over the extended long weekend. Somehow blackflies are still alive they show up for 1 hour murder sessions and then are non existent for the rest of the day. Mosquitos absolutely rabid and lots of flys buzzing around you during the day. You'll get the full package right now.

Funny. I was just up in the area for the week and found bugs way less than typical in early July.  There were some blackflies around campsites but not too active other than dusk.  Mosquitoes were there but not horrible.

That said, I was still having dinner before dusk and tucking myself into my hammock before bug o'clock.

I'd say the bugs were more like a typical August long weekend.

Portages were worse of course.

7/09/2020 7:38 pm  #19

keg wrote:

TrevaH wrote:

Was up in Cedar lake area of Algonquin over the extended long weekend. Somehow blackflies are still alive they show up for 1 hour murder sessions and then are non existent for the rest of the day. Mosquitos absolutely rabid and lots of flys buzzing around you during the day. You'll get the full package right now.

Funny. I was just up in the area for the week and found bugs way less than typical in early July. There were some blackflies around campsites but not too active other than dusk. Mosquitoes were there but not horrible.

That said, I was still having dinner before dusk and tucking myself into my hammock before bug o'clock.

I'd say the bugs were more like a typical August long weekend.

Portages were worse of course.

It was ok sometimes but mostly bad, at one point I was getting water from a spring on the nippising and fully suited around 3pm or so I must have had 100 mosquitoes around me and only my hands exposed and every few seconds about 10 would land on my hands... good fun. Can't wait for the next trip! :D

7/10/2020 6:52 pm  #20

Was at Big porcupine Sun July 5th -7th...mosquitos not too bad, deer flies were the worst.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.