You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/04/2020 6:11 pm  #18

Re: OK how bad is camping in June Bugs!

MartinG wrote:

It's fine

Lol

5/04/2020 6:24 pm  #19

Jdbonney wrote:

MartinG wrote:

It's fine

Lol

I've had deer flies almost that bad in the Adirondacks. (The extra size of the deer flies made up for the lower numbers). I didn't last 5 minutes... But I also didn't have the Hazmat suit that guy has.

5/04/2020 7:37 pm  #20

Back in my previous life working for Algonquin Outfitters we were only able to easily get away for trips in June because there was not many people around and so they were happy to give us any time off we wanted.
We arrived in late April to setup the store, worked our butts off all of May and then the park basically shut down for June and we would all go on trips. The bugs were usually awful, sometimes epic, occasionally non existent. The benefits are minimal people, generally good water levels and good weather. The downside....bugs. If you can go at another time, why not. If you can’t get another time, go in June. Just go. The important part is going. This virus is certainly showing us the value and importance of going.

Honestly, bugs are terrible but manageable. You just need to be prepared mentally (and have a good stock of bug spray).

5/04/2020 9:33 pm  #21

Bugs in the Arctic are notoriously bad because it doesn't really warm up enough to kill off the black flies. One of our Earth Science geologists does field work on Axel Heiberg and Ellesmere Islands so I asked her how bad the bugs were.  I was surprised when she responded that that was too far north for black flies.  Unfortunately getting there is well beyond our budget so we'll just have to keep tolerating the bugs in Algonquin.

5/07/2020 11:28 am  #22

I am doing a solo fishing trip in June if things open up. As ATVenture mentioned, the harsh reality of trout fishing is peak blackfly and peak brook trout fishing happen at the same time. I will be armed with permetherine soak clothes, a tub of stoker's straight chewing tobacco and glenfidditch to help maintain my sanity and plenty of backwoods cigars to keep the bugs away. 

Last edited by Lenny (5/07/2020 11:32 am)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.