You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/11/2020 6:08 am  #18

Re: Food Barrel vs. Bag Hang

I hang in a bag or barrell. Always will. For those that have trouble throwing a rope with a rock or stick tied to try using your throw bag from the canoe. A few years ago I was trying to cut down on gear and weight for a long trip. I used to always pack rope for the food barrell and throw bags. Redundant. Wish I would have thought of it sooner. They throw great on the first try. If you need consecutive tries throw a couple rocks in the bag and have another go. I find it easier to throw and many time have had it up and over in only 2 or 3 tries. Good luck.

Last edited by Shayne74 (6/11/2020 6:09 am)

6/11/2020 8:14 am  #19

The throwing thing is always highly irritating, but I had this idea.....how about a little bottle, with a cap, in the shape and size of a bow tie?  Fill it with water, tie your line around the middle of the bow tie, and chuck.  To me the biggest problem is always finding a suitable rock to tie the line around, then watching the rock come loose from the line and disappear into undergrowth as the sun brings darkness to the forest.  With this, problem solved and it weighs nothing.  Bonus - if you put elastic around it, you can wear it to formal camping affairs.

6/11/2020 9:21 am  #20

MooseWhizzer Dave wrote:

The throwing thing is always highly irritating, but I had this idea.....how about a little bottle, with a cap, in the shape and size of a bow tie?  Fill it with water, tie your line around the middle of the bow tie, and chuck.  To me the biggest problem is always finding a suitable rock to tie the line around, then watching the rock come loose from the line and disappear into undergrowth as the sun brings darkness to the forest.  With this, problem solved and it weighs nothing.  Bonus - if you put elastic around it, you can wear it to formal camping affairs.

That would be annoying. I was fortunate enough to be given a piece of equipment years ago from a military friend from the US (who I met in APP).  It is a little pouch the holds the rope.  Take out the rope, fill the pouch with a few rocks and tie the rope through the eyelet.  Way easier! Still a pain, but not nearly as much as what you describe. 

"Remember you belong to Nature, not it to you." - Grey Owl

6/11/2020 10:08 am  #21

Shayne74 wrote:

I hang in a bag or barrell. Always will. For those that have trouble throwing a rope with a rock or stick tied to try using your throw bag from the canoe. A few years ago I was trying to cut down on gear and weight for a long trip. I used to always pack rope for the food barrell and throw bags. Redundant. Wish I would have thought of it sooner. They throw great on the first try. If you need consecutive tries throw a couple rocks in the bag and have another go. I find it easier to throw and many time have had it up and over in only 2 or 3 tries. Good luck.

Just be sure to regularly check your throw bag rope. If it gets shredded due to the friction of pulling over the branch it won’t be any help when you need to throw it to someone to help pull them out of the lake.

I have a tiny stuff sack that holds about 60 feet of paracord. Take the rope out of the bag, fill bag with weight. Throw over branch. Works great and is very lightweight.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.