You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/30/2020 9:03 am  #1

Chrome Google Alert

Recent versions of the Chrome Web-Browser include a security feature that put up an alert when certain potential threats occur. The forum thread for WIA #345 is generating such an alert.

When one clicks on "Details", one is given the option to continue to the page. The message states that "attackers on dannypaton.com" are the problem. Supposedly there's a link in someone's posting that will take one to the "deceptive site".

3/30/2020 9:31 am  #2

Re: Chrome Google Alert

I started to examine WIA #345 on my android tablet. I began with the original image. It was hosted on "ibb.co".

I conducted a Google search entering "ibb.co security". The following was among the results ...
https://www.2-spyware.com/remove-ibb-co-virus.html

Comments there included ... 
"While Ibb.co is not considered to be malware, the redirects and notifications might easily expose users to phishing and scam sites, as well as malware-laden ones."

When I opted to "open the image in a new tab" (using my tablet), I was taken to a page that included the hosted image in a full page that included numerous "enticing" image links, apparently to other websites .. supposedly which might include the "dannypaton.com" mentioned in the Google Chrome Alert.

It appears that the only way to avoid the Google Chrome Alert blockages is to avoid using image-hosting websites that trigger them.

3/30/2020 10:20 am  #3

Thinking further on this, I realized I had replied to the original posting, by posting an enhanced version of the image and commenting that it looked like an old railway tie in the foreground. At that time, there was no "alert". I'm thinking that either "ibb.co" hadn't been on the "Google Alert" list at that time, or that the "deceptive link" hadn't been on their page at that time. Interesting!

3/30/2020 2:58 pm  #4

Hi Barry, I used the upload button on the forum to upload that picture. Is there something else I should be doing to get pictures posted?

3/30/2020 3:34 pm  #5

To the left of that button is the "image" button. Clicking on that button brings up an input field. Into that field you can paste the url (universal resource location) for any photo you may have with any image-hosting service you subscribe to.

4/02/2020 9:41 am  #6

Hey Barry, warning went away for the first time in a few days when clicking WIA.  What resolved?  Was it just how pictures were being posted?

4/02/2020 12:41 pm  #7

The latest WIA original poster (RPDUKE) uses a different photo image hosting service than the other one.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.