You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/27/2020 12:25 pm  #1

Reservations before May 14th

Has anyone had any luck reserving a back country site prior to may 14th, I heard we could now, however the folks on the phone could not process that

3/27/2020 1:58 pm  #2

Re: Reservations before May 14th

Last i heard was that no reservations could booked UNTIL AFTER May 14.

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

3/27/2020 10:39 pm  #3

Correct.  With the last two years Ice out’s being late, the park had to cancel people’s reso’s which obviously would be a piss off.  They played it safe this year and moved the earliest reso date to May 14.  If ice out happens before then, you will be able to reserve when they say they’re open.  However, all provincials are closed until April 30 at the earliest.

My two cents: don’t count on going on a canoe trip until June or later, given the current situation of our world.

3/28/2020 10:48 pm  #4

TripperMike wrote:

...My two cents: don’t count on going on a canoe trip until June or later, given the current situation of our world...

Only a masochist would plan a trip for June.

Hopefully in May they will issue permits to people that that show up at the access points. I’m even considering bringing along my 2.5 year old daughter along although she complains much more than my dearly beloved dog and has much more messy poo situations. For some reason I’ve grown attached to her.

Last edited by solos (3/28/2020 10:57 pm)

3/29/2020 7:48 am  #5

solos wrote:

TripperMike wrote:

...My two cents: don’t count on going on a canoe trip until June or later, given the current situation of our world...

Only a masochist would plan a trip for June. .

Haha. Well if my May plans don’t work out I’ll take the bugs over being cooped up in the city.

3/31/2020 4:29 am  #6

solos wrote:

TripperMike wrote:

Only a masochist would plan a trip for June.

Does anyone else find it bitterly ironic that after several years in a row of prolonged ice-outs and later backcountry openings, it looks like we're finally going to get an early ice-out, only to be prevented from going by a virus??? 

I wouldn't be surprised if a mid-June start-date actually works out well for avoiding bugs this year. I'm working from the following equation: earlier warming + less snow to melt = earlier bug season with lower bug population. Maybe my assumptions are incorrect, but I'd definitely chance it anyway at that point . . . and enjoy every minute regardless of the bug conditions!

3/31/2020 8:58 am  #7

That is why I am planning an early May canoe/camping/fishing trip on crown land REAL close to Algonquin, unless things drastically change between now and then.    Of course, I will be taking all necessary precautions in getting there, i.e. gloves, mask, lots of purell, etc.    And before this post gets negative comments about the pandemic we are in, all I can say is you do what is good for you and I will do what is good for me and others by taking all the precautions mentioned above..  

Last edited by boknows (3/31/2020 9:00 am)

4/01/2020 9:11 am  #8

Here I am this morning looking at my AP map, planning my May trip on crown land.  And what do I see, some secret lakes of mine inside Algonquin that are excellent for speckled trout.  And then my mind conjures up me taking a late June or July trip to one of these lakes.  For the record, | have never ventured into Algonquin Park in June or July to fish for speckled trout.  And then my mind tells me it will be warmer (swimming), can bring guitar, need to buy a good bug tent, and just maybe something different like this for me might be worthwhile to do.  And better still, this trip will be in Algonquin and not on crown land which gives me reason to really think about it.  So, more planning is necessary.  And I love planning potential canoe trips into Algonquin Park.  And a trip of this kind will teach me if I have what it takes to catch speckled trout in lakes that I know contain them.  Now, I just need Algonquin Park to open should I decide to go on this warm weather trip.  Mountain Equipment Co-op, here I come.

Last edited by boknows (4/01/2020 9:17 am)

4/01/2020 10:35 am  #9

Hey Bo, I hope this trip can go through for you. Our July APP trip plans are on hold and I also really need to scratch the outdoor itch. We recently got a note from the Bruce Trail Association asking people to stay off the trails, so even less trekking options now. Hopefully Crown land remains an option...
Have fun MEC shopping, even if it is online.
Cheers

4/01/2020 2:17 pm  #10

They are still allowing front country bookings as of May 1st. I wonder when that gets stopped? We had an early booking at a conservation area near London for the second weekend of May and they cancelled it on me as well as charging a 20 dollar cancellation fee. Our planned foray into Mew at the end of spring break got deep sixed. Now I wonder about the numerous bookings I have with the PPs over the spring and summer and if/when they will get cancelled. Anyone know if the Provincial Parks are charging cancellation fees when they cancel them on you?

4/01/2020 7:56 pm  #11

petey wrote:

Anyone know if the Provincial Parks are charging cancellation fees when they cancel them on you?

They are not, as per their press release. You shouldn't be charged by any organization if they cancel on you- I would argue the fee you have been charged.

4/02/2020 8:08 am  #12

Thanks nvm. My wife said the same thing about that cancellation fee.

Going to be an odd spring this year. I shouldn't complain.

4/02/2020 9:07 pm  #13

Complete fire ban just announced for the province today so will that will put a damper on crown land camping as well. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/6769282/coronavirus-ontario-outdoor-fire-restriction/

4/03/2020 7:26 am  #14

fishquest wrote:

Complete fire ban just announced for the province today so will that will put a damper on crown land camping as well. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/6769282/coronavirus-ontario-outdoor-fire-restriction/

Well, so much for that morsel of freedom...

4/03/2020 8:16 am  #15

I have camped before (not long ago) when there was a fire ban in Algonquin Park.  Definitely, this will take away some of the beauty of camping but unless they close crown land camping, there will be many out there camping.  Every day I see geese flying over my house, pictures of lakes giving up their cover of ice, mild temperatures and hours upon hours of looking at my maps.  Some choices to be made once early May arrives.

Last edited by boknows (4/03/2020 8:20 am)

4/03/2020 12:22 pm  #16

hiker72 wrote:

Campfires make things nice but for me not a necessary part of camping.

4/03/2020 1:16 pm  #17

keg wrote:

hiker72 wrote:

Campfires make things nice but for me not a necessary part of camping.

Point taken - my comment may have been a bit of an over-reaction Having said that, it's a big discouragement for a possible spring outing.

Last edited by hiker72 (4/03/2020 1:17 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.