You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/25/2020 4:20 pm  #1

Lost canoe companions

Solos posted a photo earlier (under a different post) of a beautiful four-legged traveling companion who died suddenly and very recently, and it put me in mind of our recent loss.  

On Valentine's Day, we had to put down our 13-year old pup, Sandy.  Vet thinks bone marrow cancer and she just dealt with it until she couldn't.  She went downhill very fast.  Monday, 10-Feb a nose whistle, late in the day 13-Feb the bloodwork results, Friday, 14-Feb out of strength laboring to breathe, and we did what was necessary, in a heart-wrenching scene.

Sandy was twelve her first time in the canoe (I used to fish a lot and feared getting her hooked - happened to my dad's dog once).  We avoided hot days with her and kept the trips short, but she loved it.  Her last time was in October on a colorful Fall day and a calm lake.  Never once in the entirety of her life did she ever show any aggression to any human or dog.  We should all be able to say that.  

I can't load a photo just now, will try later.  I've got some great pics of her in the canoe too.  Picture a dog that looked exactly like the Grinch's dog (Max).  I miss her more now than I did the day we put her down.  Sinking in I guess.

So - for those who have recently lost your fur-bearing canoe-loving ever-faithful travel companions - I raise a glass, and I encourage you to post a photo of your pal in action.

2/25/2020 6:44 pm  #2

Re: Lost canoe companions

I'm sorry for your loss Dave.

My 80-pound buddy won't fit in a kayak so he's never been interior camping, but he comes with us whenever we car camp - which is pretty often since my daughter was born. Here's Ozzy, a (just turned) 5-year-old Italian Spinone. 

free photo upload

5/02/2020 3:35 pm  #3

Sorry for your loss.  My little guy diagnosed almost the same day.  He was in for a random xray to check something else and the vet came back with a look like he had been punched in the gut.  Cancer.  Gave him 1 month.  A beagle to the end.  chipper and wanting to chase the squirrels up to the second last day.  Miss him tremendously.  A big hole in our lives.

5/03/2020 8:56 am  #4

Shark - sorry to hear that.  Beagles never seem to lose their charm.  During quarantine I've been going through photos to try delete the junk and came across what I think is my favorite of that dog.  She loved a leafpile, and I got a photo of her doing a total super-dog leap into a leafpile, so fast the picture is blurred.  Six weeks later she turned 13.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.