You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/21/2020 9:45 am  #1

Kiosk to Opeongo 2019 Trip Report

Hey all, here is my trip report from our adventure last summer. I tried to make it as informative as possible for those planning to travel to any of these lakes.  It was an amazing trip.  Down through Maple Creek, Erables, Skuce, into the Osler's, Robinson Burntroot, Big Trout out through Merchant, Red Rock and Opeongo.

Barry, I don't know if it fits the criteria for your Trip Logs page... but feel free to add it if it does.

Happy Planning 2020!

https://algonquin-heart-of-the-park.blogspot.com/

Last edited by tess (2/21/2020 9:46 am)

2/21/2020 12:23 pm  #2

Re: Kiosk to Opeongo 2019 Trip Report

Thanks for the report, very thorough, helpful, and informative. Impressive route for someone in their 70's!

Hopefully the last-minute extra nights and arguments about where to camp didn't result in going off-permit. Also doesn't Robinson allow two permits (one for each site) so the other group could have gotten a permit still?

I've been eyeing the area between Burntroot and Maple (I've camped on both those lakes, but never travelled the route you took between them), but I'm not sure if I willingly want to do all those long portages when travelling solo and double carrying.

Was looking at something like: Cedar > Catfish > Hogan > Burntroot > Robinson > Nadine/Osler > Erables > Maple > Kiosk

But also considering a shorter: Cedar > Catfish > Hogan > Burntroot > Catfish > Cedar 

Option 1 has the stretch between Burntroot and Erables, and I'd have to figure out a shuttle to get back to Cedar, plus I've done Maple Creek before. But option 2 has Unicorn Hill twice, with double carrying, so basically 6 times

What are your thoughts on the Erables to Burntroot stretch... worth doing? Preferable direction to travel? Not worth the hassle compared to just looping back to Cedar?

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

2/21/2020 1:36 pm  #3

I have not paddled Cedar Catfish or Hogan so can't comment on that.

The route from Burntroot to Kiosk is really rugged. It was a completely different tripping experience from Burntroot to Opeongo.  I would travel south to north, although there are some serious ups and downs both ways.

It is worth doing if you like challenging portages, small lakes and lesser used campsites. Also, I would never want to just rush through this section. We are both really happy to have had the experience.

2/21/2020 1:37 pm  #4

Wow, what an absolutely great trip report, very impressive. What stuck out for me was the impeccable planning of it all, but especially the food for such a long trip and for two and then come out right too yet.Your eye for taking stunning pictures as well as the way you write made your report a sit down and read before I did anything else today.
It is my daughters greatest wish ( well into her thirties) to do a trip like that, but I’m not so sure Im up to hartattack hill types of portages anymore and carrying the loads you and your partner did.
After almost 15 years I’ve lost my beloved black and chocolate labs in a short time frame, and seeing your report makes me wanna get 2 other ones, train them and take them with me too for future trips.
Thanks for doing such an amazing job on the trip report and for sharing! Now the fire is lit under me for this years trip......so many months away yet, ....sigh.

2/21/2020 1:54 pm  #5

tentsterforever wrote:

Wow, what an absolutely great trip report, very impressive. What stuck out for me was the impeccable planning of it all, but especially the food for such a long trip and for two and then come out right too yet.Your eye for taking stunning pictures as well as the way you write made your report a sit down and read before I did anything else today.
It is my daughters greatest wish ( well into her thirties) to do a trip like that, but I’m not so sure Im up to hartattack hill types of portages anymore and carrying the loads you and your partner did.
After almost 15 years I’ve lost my beloved black and chocolate labs in a short time frame, and seeing your report makes me wanna get 2 other ones, train them and take them with me too for future trips.
Thanks for doing such an amazing job on the trip report and for sharing! Now the fire is lit under me for this years trip......so many months away yet, ....sigh.

Wow! Thanks so much for the comments and sharing some of your own story. I am sorry you lost your beloved pups... that is really tough. We have 4 dogs but I had to leave two with my son... even having the two along made the trip much harder because of the weight of dog food and leashing them on portages. 

I hope your daughter gets to experience her dream trip. Heart Attack Hill is tough but if we can do it and if the little boys we met along the way can do it I think anyone who has experience portaging will be able to accomplish it... It is a matter of slow and steady and up and down and back and forth with whatever you can carry at the time. It is a long hard day but seriously worth it ---- the memories are worth it.

Thank you for your kind comments. Planning is half the fun... enjoy

2/21/2020 3:55 pm  #6

hi tess ,, great stuff,, i read your report on your website not too long ago.  yes, the menu for the trip sounds fantastic,, i have been meaning to ask if you could outfit  me with some of your freeze dried gourmet dishes?
   what is on your trip to do list this year? cheers

2/21/2020 5:21 pm  #7

Hey Tess! What a trip. What a trip report. And most of all, what photos!

Congratulations to Norm. He and I are the same age. I'm definitely jealous of his stamina. Hoping his shoulder mends-up OK.

I've featured the report on the website'd front page and will definitely be adding it to the inventory.

2/21/2020 5:27 pm  #8

great report, thanks very much for sharing your adventure. The pictures and your writing really made it come to life.

2/22/2020 8:20 am  #9

swedish pimple wrote:

hi tess ,, great stuff,, i read your report on your website not too long ago.  yes, the menu for the trip sounds fantastic,, i have been meaning to ask if you could outfit  me with some of your freeze dried gourmet dishes?
   what is on your trip to do list this year? cheers

You should have a look at the trip report. It is not the same thing as what is on the site. There is a part you might be interested in.  Have a look at Burntroot.

Where are you going this year? Do you have a food dehydrator?

Our plans are not as complicated as last year. We are hoping to do a trip to Cedar and down too Catfish.

2/22/2020 8:23 am  #10

BarryB wrote:

Hey Tess! What a trip. What a trip report. And most of all, what photos!

Congratulations to Norm. He and I are the same age. I'm definitely jealous of his stamina. Hoping his shoulder mends-up OK.

I've featured the report on the website'd front page and will definitely be adding it to the inventory.

Hi Barry! I am really happy you like the report. Thank you for sharing it and adding it to your trip log bank. That is growing to be such an impressive collection.

Norm's shoulder is still a mess, but I think he is mending while waiting for surgery.  Even though the trip was difficult we both have only fond memories and no regrets.

2/22/2020 8:25 am  #11

Jdbonney wrote:

great report, thanks very much for sharing your adventure. The pictures and your writing really made it come to life.

Thanks so much! writing it up 5 ad 6 months after was an amazing exercise.  I had my field notes but the act of writing brought it all back to life for me too.

2/22/2020 9:03 am  #12

What an incredible trip!  Congratulations.  My wife said "you are not going on any portage called 'Heart Attack Hill'."  I think she meant it.  Also, That thunderbox on Skuce - that thing should come with a seatbelt.

2/22/2020 11:07 am  #13

Awesome report. Love the pics, love the detail. This is something to aspire to. Great job!!!

2/22/2020 12:06 pm  #14

WOW.....if Norm can do heart attack hill, I guess I can do the portage from Rock to Pen which is my plan for this May.  A trip of a lifetime that will live long in your memory banks!   Algonquin Park wins again for an awesome trip!  After heart attack hill, the only time I was there I fell in love with Little Osler, Osler and Nadine.  Such pristine lakes in the middle of nowhere and which Little Osler is on the top of Mount Everest? lol  All in all, a great read, my past trip to this area flooding back in my memory, and some gorgeous, scenic photos as well.  Well done!

Last edited by boknows (2/22/2020 1:07 pm)

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

2/23/2020 12:21 pm  #15

MooseWhizzer Dave wrote:

What an incredible trip!  Congratulations.  My wife said "you are not going on any portage called 'Heart Attack Hill'."  I think she meant it.  Also, That thunderbox on Skuce - that thing should come with a seatbelt.

Glad you enjoyed it Dave! The Thunderbox was unreal. There was a piece of old birch tree wedged under it to "level" it over the hold. I always felt like the box and me were going to go for a tumble backwards. 

Heart Attack Hill is not for the faint of heart but I have disliked others more or maybe disliked them differently... like the long one between McKaskill and Dove.

2/23/2020 12:21 pm  #16

Marko_Mrko wrote:

Awesome report. Love the pics, love the detail. This is something to aspire to. Great job!!!

Thank you for having a look Marko! I appreciate your comments.

2/23/2020 12:23 pm  #17

boknows wrote:

WOW.....if Norm can do heart attack hill, I guess I can do the portage from Rock to Pen which is my plan for this May.  A trip of a lifetime that will live long in your memory banks!   Algonquin Park wins again for an awesome trip!  After heart attack hill, the only time I was there I fell in love with Little Osler, Osler and Nadine.  Such pristine lakes in the middle of nowhere and which Little Osler is on the top of Mount Everest? lol  All in all, a great read, my past trip to this area flooding back in my memory, and some gorgeous, scenic photos as well.  Well done!

LOL... I am sure you will be just fine Rock to Pen! I think we are hiking the Highlands Trail for Ice Out. Thanks for commenting Bo. I know you have been to all these lakes one time or another. Great Memories. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.