You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/12/2020 5:35 pm  #1

Algonquin Park Ice Out 2020 Contest - Algonquin Outfitters

Hey Algonquin Adventure's crew, it's that time of year again when we host the annual Ice Out Contest for Lake Opeongo in Algonquin Park.

The contest is open from now until around the fist of April (depending on conditions).  All you have to do is submit your date guess at the link below for a chance to win some prizes.

https://algonquinoutfitters.com/contest/2020-algonquin-park-ice-out-contest/

New this year, if you're in Algonquin Park and want to share your obserations of the current contest with your entry you can now submit a photo along with your guess.  You can also post photos online and use the hash tags #AlgonquinPark #IceOut2020 to share your observations.

Here's hoping for an ealy spring (I always guess April 5th, my birthday) but I yet to receive my birthday wish of a very early ice out in Algonquin Park.

Commets here do not enter you to win a prize, be sure to submit your entry at the link above.

Cheers.

2/22/2020 5:42 pm  #2

Re: Algonquin Park Ice Out 2020 Contest - Algonquin Outfitters

so how closely does the ice out date mesh with the issuing of permits?

2/22/2020 7:42 pm  #3

Jdbonney wrote:

so how closely does the ice out date mesh with the issuing of permits?

To be determined.

2/22/2020 7:50 pm  #4

I haven't been early season in years. It used to be whenever you felt like showing up they would give you a permit. Its obviously changed dramatically. How close from ice out to permit issuance has it been the last 2-3 years?

2/22/2020 8:15 pm  #5

Jdbonney wrote:

I haven't been early season in years. It used to be whenever you felt like showing up they would give you a permit. Its obviously changed dramatically. How close from ice out to permit issuance has it been the last 2-3 years?

Last few years ice out has been later than expected and they've had to deal with cancelling/rescheduling the early May bookings. This year they're only issuing permits as of May 14th. Hopefully if ice out is earlier than that they'll update the system so you can make a reservation prior to the 14th without needing to show up in-person.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

2/22/2020 10:33 pm  #6

In 2018 and 2019 the park said that ice out occurred on May 10. This is defined by the ability of the water taxi to travel from Ope store to the happy isle portage. Was anyone on here able to get a permit on May 10 - the date of ice out in 2018 or 2019?

2/23/2020 8:43 am  #7

If I recall correctly, what happened last year was: you could make resos for trout season opening as usual. I booked for May 10. As it became clear it would be a late ice out, they started pushing back the opening date, eventually settling on May 15. On May 8, they called and cancelled our trip for the 10th, forcing us to plan a new trip elsewhere. On May 10, they went ahead and opened the park, rather than waiting till May 15, which was the right choice because there was no ice left (as could have easily been predicted on the 8th). So in short, yes last year they opened on the 10th, but not before cancelling everyone’s vacation who had originally planned to go in on the 10th. I don’t blame them for deciding on the 15th this year and not wanting to bother with all that hassle. Consequently I’m predicting an April ice out!

Last edited by nvm (2/23/2020 8:45 am)

2/23/2020 9:00 am  #8

Perfect. Sounds like they will start issuing permits as soon as they declare ice out.

Thanks

2/23/2020 11:23 pm  #9

I would expect so.

2/24/2020 9:10 am  #10

I've been in the park in and around ice out for a number of years (or at least as close as I can get).  As soon as ice is off the bigger lakes (Opeongo, Kiosk, Cedar, Canoe) and things get passable they will issue permits.  A few years ago we had to portage around a big block of ice blocking access to Hambone but it was gone the next day.

Be very careful when canoeing around ice out dates.  I know it's been said a million times, but cold water will absolutely kill you.  Numerous times I've come out of the park in May and found out someone has died flipping a rental without a lifejacket.  Wear a LJ and don't go out in huge water, alright?

Stay safe kids.

3/16/2020 12:19 pm  #11

Due to recent late ice out dates (May 10th 2018 and 2019) Ontairo Parks has changed the earliest online booking date for Algonquin Park's backcountry to May 14th - see: https://reservations.ontarioparks.com/create-booking/results?resourceLocationId=-2147483644&mapId=-2147483636&searchTabGroupId=3&bookingCategoryId=4&startDate=2020-04-30T00:00:00.000Z&endDate=2020-05-01T00:00:00.000Z&nights=1&isReserving=true&partySize=1&searchTime=2020-03-16T00:00:00.000Z&accessPointResourceId=-2147482822

If you wish to go on a backcountry canoe trip prior to that just show up at Algonquin Park and the Access Point permit offices will book a route for you upon arrival pending conditions. There's lots of availability early season so this should not be a problem if you are flexible with your routes.

3/16/2020 12:22 pm  #12

We have 15 days remaining in the 2020 Algonquin Park Lake Opeongo Ice Out contest entry phase.  We do not plan on extending the entry period due to a feeling that we will see an earlier ice-out date this year.

Enter online at https://a.pgtb.me/Kb6C2z

Last edited by Algonquin Outfitters (3/16/2020 12:22 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.