You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/12/2019 12:58 pm  #1

Kayak Camper: Spring solo finale (video)

Hello AA'ers!

For reasons I'm not quite clear on, I ended up taking a long hiatus from many things in my life. My excuse is that I've been super busy, but I was also just uninterested in a lot of things I normally love. And while I was still happy to go camping this year, I didn't much feel like talking about camping or making videos about camping... and so I didn't. Needless to say, I've now got a lot of catching up to do!

One thing I re-evaluated over this break was my approach to making videos. And my critique of my own stuff boiled down to: I'm including too much of everything. Too long, too much travel montage, and especially way too much of me droning on about nothing.

So this is my first release under a revised approach to camping videos. The goal is to keep things moving along at a better pace. Show where I am what I'm doing, but without overstaying the welcome. I posted the Day 1 and 2 video of this trip in May, which was 32 minutes long. This video covers the remaining 4 days of the trip in 19 minutes. I hope you enjoy the change, and I'd definitely appreciate any feedback. 

11/12/2019 5:23 pm  #2

Re: Kayak Camper: Spring solo finale (video)

Great video Bob. Glad you're back. I like the shorter format (but also liked the longer ones). One suggestion, given that there isn't as much narration it can be harder to figure out where you are at a given time. Something like a little title somewhere on the screen with the name of the lake when you enter a new area would be great.

11/12/2019 10:17 pm  #3

Re: Kayak Camper: Spring solo finale (video)

Enjoyable as always Bob!  With a couple of inches of snow on the ground and temps at -13 those longer videos are a welcome look back at the season : )  I also have enjoyed your commentary in your videos so this was a change in some parts.  I'll have to go back and watch the spring video to compare.  Tightly edited videos are tougher I expect because you have to leave a lot of stuff out but I think I'd rather see the whole story including where the trail petered out (and which trail it was) or where the portage sign is not so readily visible from the marsh and so on.  I think you're on the right track in terms of trying to find a balance if you thought things were too 'rambley'.  As Drew mentioned, and especially applicable if you're covering a bit of ground - some notes on where you are now and again would be a good addition.  Some places are easy to recognize but some sites less so.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.