You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/13/2019 1:35 pm  #1

Turkey Pot Pie Recipe

As requested on the Fall Colours/Fall Tripping thread, here's my Turkey Pot Pie Recipe
Makes 4 servings
* Dehydrator required

At Home:
1. Dice and fry the following: 3/4 of an onion, 2 large carrots, 2 stalks of celery, 2-4 cloves of garlic in butter or oil until soft. Use less oil than you'd typically use to improve dehydrating process. Season with salt, pepper and thyme. (Optional additions: parsnips, zucchini, literally any other veg you've got in your fridge!)
2. Sprinkle on 1 tbsp-ish of flour and mix well.
3. Add chicken broth (maybe 2 cups, add enough to cover the veg) and cook until a stew-like consistency. Since you're making it to dehydrate, it's good to cook off some more moisture than you would if you were eating right away (less dehydration time!). 
OPTIONAL 4: Add in 2 cooked, shredded turkey breasts.*
5. Spread out your stew on parchment paper in your dehydrator. Set it and forget it! I think it usually takes 8-12 hours to fully dehydrate. It will come off in crumbly sheets. Store in a zip-top bag.

INSTEAD OF STEP 4: Cook 2 turkey breasts, seasoned to your liking. Dice it up and freeze it. Obvs this only works if you're going to eat it within 1-2 days of leaving the freezer. 

6. Prepare your biscuit topping. Mix 1 & 1/3 c. flour, 1 & 1/3 tbsp baking powder, 5 tbsps + an extra dash of powdered milk, dash of salt in a zip loc bag. I like to add some dried rosemary too. 

* I haven't dehydrated turkey before. I know canned chicken dehydrates best of all types of chicken (because it's been pressure cooked, I think) and it's absolutely critical that you shred it thoroughly to ensure good re-hydration. 

At Camp:
1. Rehydrate and heat your stew. Some people measure how much water was removed during dehydration, I just cover it with water, warm it up and add water as needed. Add your hopefully-thawed turkey at this point if you went that route. 

2. Add water to your bannock mix. Add much less water than you think it needs. Kneed it in the bag and add drops of more water as necessary until you have a biscuit texture. 

3. Bake the bannock in a reflector oven or fry it over your stove or the fire. 

Break the bannock up over your servings of stew. Garnish with a pine needle to really show off to your camp friends. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.