You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/10/2019 11:12 pm  #1

Midnight Tues. - monster electric storm in Toronto

I guess cellular reception in A.P. and Wi-fi (like to read this forum) are not exactly the same thing eh?  Anyway, if you are in the area -- or wherever you are -- there was a Jim Dandy thunderstorm that kicked up on the east side of Toronto. Personally I just made it indoors by whisker. Cable TV appears to be out but I do have internet here in my high-rise location in Don Mills.

Really big flashes of lightning outside - it started out as a slightly breezy evening under the waxing room but now WHAM-O!!!

12:11 now, early Wednesday. So it seemed to last 15 minutes. Been hunkered down in these many times under my rain fly.

9/12/2019 3:06 am  #2

Re: Midnight Tues. - monster electric storm in Toronto

Yes, that was pretty good. I'm a little south of you, near the Danforth. We lost power for about 5 minutes or so when what sounded like a transformer blew. Thumbs-up to Toronto Hydro for getting us rerouted so quick.

Hunkered down under my rain fly is no fun. You just pretend you're not getting wet.
But if you are nice a dry in your tent, thunderstorms are to be enjoyed. I have many a fond memory of being nice and cozy in my sleeping bag as a storm passes through. Flashes of lightning turning the night momentarially into day. Then the thunder would follow, rolling from across the lake becoming louder and louder as it draws ever closer. Then a crescendo of sound as it passes overhead like a wave crashing into the rocks at the base of a cliff.
Memories to be cherished. 

Dave

9/21/2019 6:54 pm  #3

Re: Midnight Tues. - monster electric storm in Toronto

I once spent a nasty, wet night on the shore of Burnt Island Lake. We had pitched hastily on an angle and eventually a heavy storm rolled in. The thunder and lightning woke me up many times - brilliant white *DAYLIGHT* inside the tent. After a few hours the canvas tent (a Thermos "pop" model if you remember those) started taking on water AND RETAINED IT. In the raging wind the Thermos bent inwards, taking on more of a concave crescent shape than a dome - Thermoses had these semi-rigid fiberglass poles which could "flex" a bit under pressure. Towards dawn I woke up with my feet sloshing around in my sleeping bag, in a least ten inches of water at the bottom of the downward slope! Incredibly I just turned over and went back to sleep.

The day dawned sunny though, bright and breezy. We poured the water out of the tent by tilting it (!) and everything dried quickly. A close call.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.