You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/24/2019 10:20 pm  #1

Site and Route suggestion

This is becoming my thing now: asking this forum for a route and site suggestion 1-3 weeks before my trip :/ But, c'est la vie. This time it's worse though: I'm trying to organize a trip for this coming long weekend, haha. Let's see if it can happen.

Most good places are booked solid. So here's what I'm looking for:
* 2-4 hours away from Toronto
* No more than 5 hours of paddling and portaging.
* An open site on a picturesque lake. Need some sun!
* I know beggars can't be choosers, but if they could, then ideally somewhere not too crowded, flat, with those big Canadian shield rocks that I can lay down in the afternoon/evening and enjoy the sun. And some on-demand free ice tea or lemonade service

If anyone can find something decent, I'll be grateful. Thanks

8/25/2019 1:13 pm  #2

Re: Site and Route suggestion

Even on the busiest weekends with short notice it’s always possible to find something decent if you’re willing to portage a bit. I’d suggest Lorne Lake. The north most site is very flat and open with a nice view down the lake. If that’s too far then I think access 1 is still the way to go.

8/26/2019 9:49 pm  #3

Yeah, Lorne is a bit too much. I'm going with a couple of people who are willing to do a hike and a portage, but at the end of the day they want to have a relaxing weekend and nothing too challenging.

Everything I see is booked either on the Friday or the Saturday or the Sunday, if not all.

8/27/2019 7:46 am  #4

you could try Parkside bay off of Ragged lake, it has all that you want, plus it's a dead end so no through paddlers. It's got one easy portage from Smoke lake, fishing isn't great, but it's not bad either, there's lots to do too.
It's a pretty crowded route in though, and very popular but there are usually cancellations too

8/27/2019 1:20 pm  #5

Consider going to Craig Lake via the alternate access 1b (I think). You'll have to drive down a rough road but I think the paddle won't take too much time and effort. I'm sure Craig will have open sites ... it was 100% open when I looked a few days ago.

8/27/2019 2:35 pm  #6

have you considered Big bob lake, through the Tim Lake Access point? might be at the far end of your driving range, but it should not be booked up, easy to get to, and is a nice little lake. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.