You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/22/2019 12:55 pm  #1

Kayak setup

I have never done more than a few overnight kayak trips and they were with a double seater kayak and another with lots of storage.  I would be curious to see how the kayak trippers here do their setup for a trip that is a couple of days plus using a single seat kayak.  I have a cheapo kayak (Pelican brand) and it has a storage area behind the seat that is open with a few bungees and another area in front that is flat open with more bungees.  I figure I could get most of my stuff in those storage areas but wonder a bit about stability ... like a canoe there is likely a lot you can do with placement of gear to make the ride much better.  Any pics of a loaded kayak would help if you have them.  Thanks

Paul  

8/22/2019 2:24 pm  #2

Re: Kayak setup

Hey Paul, I have a 10' cheapo pelican canoe from Canadian tire that I did a few solo trips with a few years back. Stability was a big issue for me, I never felt comfortable paddling with it loaded and ended up buying a canoe because of this. I'm not saying you won't find a better way to pack it than I did, and it's likely that your storage place behind the cockpit is designed a little better than mine (mine has an oval opening compartment that has a lid held down by bungees.) I removed the lid and got my mec slogg 115 pack strapped to the deck behind me and anything else I had I tried to stuff into the nose by my feet, it was not a good setup, but still got me out there. I'll see if I can find a picture of it when I get home.

Rob

Last edited by Catto9 (8/22/2019 2:25 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.