You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/19/2019 9:18 am  #1

Using Materials Found in the Park

Just wondering if anyone has any neat tips or tricks they wish to share in regards to using materials found in the Park for things like fire starting, first aid, etc.?  

I'll start with a couple:

1.  Birch bark - this is a no-brainer but works awesome for starting fires.  Obviously not harvested from live trees.
2.  Balsam Fir resin - the blisters on the bark contain resin that can be used as fire starter, or as a treatment for cuts or burns.
3. Cat tails - the flower can be used as a fire starter.  There is a slimy substance found along the leaves where they meet the stalk.  This substance apparently makes a great antiseptic and numbing agent (for tooth aches for example).
4. Lichen (dry in trees, etc.) also makes a great fire starter...especially good when used as a wick with the Balsam Fir resin.
5. Cedar bark shavings is another great material for fire starting.  It also holds an ember well for more primitive fire starting methods.

Any other materials you guys/gals use when in the park?

8/19/2019 9:37 am  #2

Re: Using Materials Found in the Park

hey steve,, how about using dried moose dung as a  fire starter eh,, 

Last edited by swedish pimple (8/19/2019 2:54 pm)

8/19/2019 10:04 am  #3

This is neither a fire starter nor a first aid trick, but winter green is always a nice bonus on campsites. I like to chew a leaf for a bit to cool down. Some leaves can be more astringent than others so it can be a bit hit and miss but it's a legitimately nice way to cool off when the water your drinking isn't exactly cold. 

8/19/2019 11:00 am  #4

I use my saw and axe to cut and clean up appropriately sized deadfall in order to produce 2 approximately 8 foot tall poles that I use for a tarp. I find it's easier to position the tarp exactly where you want it with the diy poles. After I leave these poles can be used as firewood by the next tenants.

8/19/2019 11:20 am  #5

I’m sure old news for many on the forum but for those new to exploring Algonquin from a canoe —- rocks used as a great anchor stuffed in a nylon sack with a rope to hold the canoe steady while fishing / taking that perfect photo

8/19/2019 5:34 pm  #6

on a more serious note,, i look for old logs, i pull at the old branches where they  connect to the trunk of the tree,,  depending on how long the log has been laying there, the knotts will come out with a twist, or with a little help from a hatchet,, these knots are full of resin , they burn slowly and hot and produce a more colourful flame because of the high concentration of resin,, 
        in the spring when the sap is running.and the bugs are thick,, the sap from a birch tree will keep bugs at bay, notch the birch and wait for the sap to appear, apply as bug repellant,, i have never tried this trick,, a old time whitney guide told me about this,

Last edited by swedish pimple (8/19/2019 5:40 pm)

8/19/2019 5:36 pm  #7

swedish pimple wrote:

on a more serious note,, i look for old logs, i pull at the old branches where they are connect to the trunk of the tree,,  depending on how long the log has been laying there, the knotts will come out with a twist, or with a little help from a hatchet,, these knots are full of resin , they burn slowly and hot and produce a more colourful flame because of the high concentration of resin,, 

Oooh ya fatwood baby!

8/19/2019 7:53 pm  #8

I use lures left in trees by other campers and catch some speckles for a nice dinner!

Last edited by boknows (8/19/2019 8:00 pm)

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

8/19/2019 9:04 pm  #9

funny  that you should mention that bo,, i have  found (over the years ) several spinners stuck in trees at fishing holes,, sorta like, algonquin park, pay it forward,, i have also traded  trout spoons for fresh trout,,  lots of fun people about eh?

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.