You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/18/2019 9:45 pm  #1

Favourite campsites on Misty and McIntosh?

I'll be heading out in a few weeks on a route taking me through Misty and McIntosh and a few other lakes... I've been to the other lakes before but I've never been to Misty or McIntosh.

Any preferred campsites? Or even certain areas of the lake? It would be good to know if the western shore of McIntosh has nicer sites than the eastern shore, for example, so I can minimize the time I spend paddling around. They're both big lakes with lots of campsites so it would be good to have a general idea what to check out first.

A nice site to me is spacious, exposed, open rock, views of sunset/sunrise, somewhere to sunbathe, etc. I'll be solo so I don't need large/multiple tent pads or a big fire pit area - aesthetic sites with nice views are definitely my preference.

Thanks in advance

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

8/19/2019 7:29 am  #2

Re: Favourite campsites on Misty and McIntosh?

The nice thing about Misty is that if you're paddling west to east, the better campsites are in the West end. My favourite is the westernmost site on the north shore. The island site just south of that is nice as well. But they are heavily used as they are close to the portage. The four campsites on the large peninsula in the middle are pretty good too.

On Macintosh, there is a really nice site on the south shore. It's large with a lovely rock face.  My second favourite site would be the island sites.

Cheers
Marko

8/19/2019 9:30 am  #3

Both lakes are flushed with great sites.

On Misty I like the northwestern most site on the island.  It has a nice take-out as well as a lovely rocky outcrop to look over the lake.

As for McIntosh, I really liked a southeastern site on the edge of a bay.  Third site from the southern end on the eastern side.  It was small, but not closed in and had a great sunset view.  The north-eastern island site was bigger, and equally nice.

Here's a triplog with some pics, :
Misty - https://iantendy.wordpress.com/2013/05/21/may-24-algonquin-triplog-pt-1/
McIntosh - https://iantendy.wordpress.com/2016/02/21/labour-day-2015-mcintosh-lake-day-1/

8/19/2019 11:26 am  #4

Misty - PCI #17 is incredible.  Big 20-25 ft cliff that faces west and is dive-able (do a thorough depth check prior of course). Lot's of shelter, lot's of space.
Misty - PCI #1 in the West arm is also a great site with a 200-ish degree view of the lake and a nice swimming/sunset rock.

Mcintosh - PCI #15 (I think) has a big open flat area, west facing and surrounded with a 4ft high rock face for sunsets/swimming and a nice lake view.  If the weather picks up there is nicely sheltered tent bays in the back. 
Mcintosh - PCI #19 Has an east facing view which provided an incredible sunrise for those of us who were awake.  Nice sunning and swimming rock and easy pullout.  You can also swim/paddle to the surrounding islands which do not have sites.  Somewhat tight with more than 2 tents but nicely sheltered. 

8/19/2019 6:29 pm  #5

Marko_Mrko wrote:

The nice thing about Misty is that if you're paddling west to east, the better campsites are in the West end. My favourite is the westernmost site on the north shore. The island site just south of that is nice as well. But they are heavily used as they are close to the portage. The four campsites on the large peninsula in the middle are pretty good too.

On Macintosh, there is a really nice site on the south shore. It's large with a lovely rock face. My second favourite site would be the island sites.

Cheers
Marko

Thanks - I'll be coming in from the west but the lake will be fully booked the night prior, and the day I arrive, so I anticipate most people will already be set up and I probably won't get a good choice. But if I use binoculars to check site #1 then follow the north shore, the only site I won't be seeing is #20. I guess I'll just take the first half-decent site I find lol

IanTendy wrote:

Both lakes are flushed with great sites.

On Misty I like the northwestern most site on the island.  It has a nice take-out as well as a lovely rocky outcrop to look over the lake.

As for McIntosh, I really liked a southeastern site on the edge of a bay.  Third site from the southern end on the eastern side.  It was small, but not closed in and had a great sunset view.  The north-eastern island site was bigger, and equally nice.

Here's a triplog with some pics, :
Misty - https://iantendy.wordpress.com/2013/05/21/may-24-algonquin-triplog-pt-1/
McIntosh - https://iantendy.wordpress.com/2016/02/21/labour-day-2015-mcintosh-lake-day-1/

Thanks! I actually came across your vids last night while researching

McIntosh won't be as fully booked when I arrive so I'm hoping to snag either one of the islands, or that southeastern site (which I've seen mentioned a handful of times). Hopefully they won't all be taken.

TripperMike wrote:

Misty - PCI #17 is incredible.  Big 20-25 ft cliff that faces west and is dive-able (do a thorough depth check prior of course). Lot's of shelter, lot's of space.
Misty - PCI #1 in the West arm is also a great site with a 200-ish degree view of the lake and a nice swimming/sunset rock.

Mcintosh - PCI #15 (I think) has a big open flat area, west facing and surrounded with a 4ft high rock face for sunsets/swimming and a nice lake view.  If the weather picks up there is nicely sheltered tent bays in the back. 
Mcintosh - PCI #19 Has an east facing view which provided an incredible sunrise for those of us who were awake.  Nice sunning and swimming rock and easy pullout.  You can also swim/paddle to the surrounding islands which do not have sites.  Somewhat tight with more than 2 tents but nicely sheltered. 

Thanks for the info. Good to know about the surrounding islands on #19 McIntosh. I always wake up for the sunrise and if I can easily get to a spot to watch the sunset (one of the islands you mentioned) then that sounds perfect. I'll probably check out the islands first since I'll most likely be coming in from Grassy Bay, and then hug the shore going counter clockwise.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.