You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/11/2019 10:00 am  #1

Mccraney Lake

Hi all - I’m planning a 3 day trip to Mccraney Lake via access point 4, Rain Lake. Wondering if anyone has site recommendations and also recommendations for sightseeing/activities (ie. wildlife viewing, nice hikes, etc) in the area.

I’m also planning on doing some fishing. Has anyone had luck reeling in some lakers? Any reports and tips are welcome!

Thanks!

8/11/2019 9:42 pm  #2

Re: Mccraney Lake

The south island site seemed nice in passing, should be quite secluded minus the odd stragglers from the portage. I stayed on the other island, the north end, and it was an awesome site, but I did have the island to myself. Enjoy your trip!

8/11/2019 11:00 pm  #3

If you are looking for hiking opportunities off of McCraney then there is not much aside from the portages, especially the portages that lead to the backpacking trail. On the north side you’ll cross the Western Highlands Bacpacking trail but it’s only a little more scenic and wild than a standard rail trail.

I feel that hiking when canoe camping in Algonquin is very possible if you are willing to just bushwhack a little ways through the forest at the back of your site. It all depends on what you want ro get to.

Last edited by solos (8/12/2019 9:29 am)

8/12/2019 4:35 pm  #4

Thanks for both your replies!

I was eyeing that South island site however watched a trip report from June or July of this year on YouTube and they mentioned there was a moose carcass decomposing on the island between the site and the thunderbox. I’m not sure what would be left of it by late Aug. or if it has been removed. If anyone has updates, I’d greatly appreciate!

Cheers

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.