You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/03/2019 11:08 pm  #1

Route options for week-long solo in September

I'm in the indecisive stages of planning a week-long trip for early September. I'm considering a few options...

OPTION #1
Start Magnetawan > Misty > White Trout x2 > McIntosh x2 > Misty or Little Misty > Exit Magnetawan
27hrs travel time | 22 portages | 25k portaging

OPTION #2
Start Smoke > McGarvey x2 > North Grace > Rence x2 (or move to Harry/Welcome) > Pen > Exit Rock
21hrs travel time | 13 portages | 29k portaging

OPTION #3
Start Cache > Head > Louisa > North Grace > McGarvey x2 > Big Porcupine x2 > Exit Smoke
20hrs travel time | 14 portages | 26k portaging

MY CONSIDERATIONS
- I'd be travelling solo and double carrying, so all the numbers above are based on that
- scenic campsites with good views, sunset/sunrise, open rock, sunbathing etc. is most important to me
- not going to be fishing
- I like keeping 1 or 2 rest days for buffer
- I've travelled south of 60 quite extensively so there is more overlap here with previous trips, but I haven't actually camped on McGarvey, Big Porc, North Grace, Rence or Pen
- I'd need to figure out shuttles for #2 or #3

Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions / tweaks to the routes?

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

8/04/2019 7:58 am  #2

Re: Route options for week-long solo in September

For your 2 nights on McGarvey, I'd switch to 2 nights on North Grace instead, second site from the east is a really good site much better than anything on McGarvey.

8/04/2019 8:31 am  #3

I have very little to offer, but I can say that if you want (need) to camp on Pen, the site on the north shore (on the way to Gem) is far enough off the beaten path and offers a very good view of the lake. The waterfront is a slab of rock (check the PCI, site #2). I like it as a final site because I have a long drive and prefer an early start - 2 inexperienced tandem paddlers can make AP 9 in a little over an hour.

8/04/2019 9:54 am  #4

CoreyTrevor wrote:

For your 2 nights on McGarvey, I'd switch to 2 nights on North Grace instead, second site from the east is a really good site much better than anything on McGarvey.

Thanks for the tip. How are the other sites on North Grace?

From what I’ve seen the island and south site on McGarvey are decent and they only issue two permits for the lake so there’s more of a guarantee vs. the uncertainty of aiming for a specific site on North Grace

algonquinbeyond.com

8/04/2019 9:56 am  #5

scratchypants wrote:

I have very little to offer, but I can say that if you want (need) to camp on Pen, the site on the north shore (on the way to Gem) is far enough off the beaten path and offers a very good view of the lake. The waterfront is a slab of rock (check the PCI, site #2). I like it as a final site because I have a long drive and prefer an early start - 2 inexperienced tandem paddlers can make AP 9 in a little over an hour.

Thanks! I’ve passed through Pen numerous times and that happens to be one of the few sites I haven’t gotten the chance to check out lol. But it does look really nice so if I end up going that route I’d definitely consider going for it.

algonquinbeyond.com

8/04/2019 10:22 am  #6

I'd say the island site on McGarvey is better than the other 3 sites on North Grace. You could see how booked the lakes are when you get your permit and decide from there. During the week in Sept it should be quiet.

8/05/2019 8:05 pm  #7

I like the idea of hitting McGarvey, North Grace, and Renee. I’ve stayed on McGarvey on the island and the west site on Rence and both have some rock outcropping and good views. In the future  I’d like to make the trip to the nice site on North Grace. My only suggestion is to consider access14b at Dagger Lake. It would put you in good position to hit those lakes and the access immediately puts you into a remote area. The only downside is the moderately long portages that would really add to your travel time when you are double carrying.. Also, the last 7 km of longing road is rather slow and bumpy, but passable with 2WD.

8/05/2019 8:40 pm  #8

CoreyTrevor wrote:

I'd say the island site on McGarvey is better than the other 3 sites on North Grace. You could see how booked the lakes are when you get your permit and decide from there. During the week in Sept it should be quiet.

Thanks again I'd be starting middle of the long weekend so first night or two I only have a few options left, but once the weekend is over the park is basically empty lol

solos wrote:

I like the idea of hitting McGarvey, North Grace, and Renee. I’ve stayed on McGarvey on the island and the west site on Rence and both have some rock outcropping and good views. In the future I’d like to make the trip to the nice site on North Grace. My only suggestion is to consider access14b at Dagger Lake. It would put you in good position to hit those lakes and the access immediately puts you into a remote area. The only downside is the moderately long portages that would really add to your travel time when you are double carrying.. Also, the last 7 km of longing road is rather slow and bumpy, but passable with 2WD.

I probably would stick with Smoke just because I'd be renting a canoe and SPOT from AO so it just makes everything easier logistically. Thanks for the info on those lakes though, much appreciated

algonquinbeyond.com

8/05/2019 8:41 pm  #9

Anyone have any thoughts about the Magnetawan trip option? That's the one that initially sticks out to me because it's the most new territory for me.

Also I'm a campsite guy, I do extensive research and plan my trips around sites, I'm so used to strategizing to get the best site on small/mid sized lakes, etc.... so there's something about camping on big lakes (Misty, McIntosh, White Trout) that changes the pace since I know any level of strategizing is useless. It's such a crapshoot and it's not like I'd be able to check out every site, so it lets me just take my time and enjoy the journey, and wherever I end up is where I end up.

algonquinbeyond.com

8/06/2019 9:26 am  #10

Go with option 1.  That stretch of the Petawawa through Misty is fantastic.
There is a great site on White Trout on the southeast/smaller island. 
Maybe consider Timberwolf x 2 over Mcintosh and then Queer or Little trout for you last night? 

8/06/2019 1:01 pm  #11

TripperMike wrote:

Go with option 1.  That stretch of the Petawawa through Misty is fantastic.
There is a great site on White Trout on the southeast/smaller island. 
Maybe consider Timberwolf x 2 over Mcintosh and then Queer or Little trout for you last night? 

Thanks!

I was so close to snagging that’s beautiful island site on White Trout a couple years ago but a group got there just a few minutes before me. It did look like a gorgeous site though.

What makes you suggest Timberwolf over McIntosh? From what’s ive heard McIntosh is supposed to be really nice and have great sites but maybe I’m wrong.

I’d love to end on Queer or Little Trout, I spent some time checking out those lakes last year, but that 2.4k double carrying is such a deterrent

If Timberwolf is worth it I could always swap out Misty/Little Misty at the end for Timberwolf and just have a longer last day back to my car, or extend the trip to add in a night on Timberwolf.

algonquinbeyond.com

8/06/2019 2:39 pm  #12

Don't get me wrong, Mcintosh is beautiful.  I was mostly suggesting it as an alternative so your distance to Queer lake would be shorter, if you choose that route.  The only advantage Timberwolf has is great fishing

Also - going back out that chain of portages up stream on the Wawa can be a little rough if the weather isn't cooperating. 

8/06/2019 5:18 pm  #13

Hey, just a heads up! The Pet between Misty and Daisy is starting to run a little low, same with the Tim River area. The north hasn't gotten as much rain so the rivers are lower than seasonable averages. They're still passable so far, but there may be a couple spots that you're going to have to walk, if you decide the Mag route!

8/06/2019 5:35 pm  #14

TripperMike wrote:

Don't get me wrong, Mcintosh is beautiful.  I was mostly suggesting it as an alternative so your distance to Queer lake would be shorter, if you choose that route.  The only advantage Timberwolf has is great fishing

Also - going back out that chain of portages up stream on the Wawa can be a little rough if the weather isn't cooperating. 

I was actually wondering that but forgot to ask (your last comment about travelling west on the Pet), so that's good to know, thanks

Lofdee wrote:

Hey, just a heads up! The Pet between Misty and Daisy is starting to run a little low, same with the Tim River area. The north hasn't gotten as much rain so the rivers are lower than seasonable averages. They're still passable so far, but there may be a couple spots that you're going to have to walk, if you decide the Mag route!

Thanks - I could keep my eye on it and change my reservation to go straight from Misty to McIntosh and skip the White Trout days if needed. The nice thing about this route is that with the big lakes, they probably won't get fully booked in September so I'd have the flexibility to make last minute changes if needed.

edit: btw, welcome to the forum

Last edited by trippythings (8/06/2019 5:36 pm)

algonquinbeyond.com

8/06/2019 5:45 pm  #15

Yes, and since you have a fair amount of time between now and your trip, hopefully there will be enough rain to get the levels back to normal soon.

Thank you! Lurked a lot, and finally decided to join.

8/07/2019 7:42 pm  #16

So it's booked. I ended up choosing the Magnetawan option and I made the reservation in a way that gives me lots of flexibility to make changes (start a day late, end a day early, switch one lake for another, etc.).

I'm staying on Misty > White Trout > McIntosh > Little Misty

Misty, White Trout and McIntosh are all big lakes, so really, the only lake that I'm at risk of being fully booked is Little Misty, so I booked that for my last two nights... if I want to cut the trip a day short, easy. If I want to switch Little Misty to Misty, I'm sure I'll be able to do it last minute.

Any change I want to make will be easy but it feels good knowing I have something booked.

algonquinbeyond.com

8/09/2019 7:55 am  #17

trippythings wrote:

So it's booked. I ended up choosing the Magnetawan option and I made the reservation in a way that gives me lots of flexibility to make changes (start a day late, end a day early, switch one lake for another, etc.).

I'm staying on Misty > White Trout > McIntosh > Little Misty

Misty, White Trout and McIntosh are all big lakes, so really, the only lake that I'm at risk of being fully booked is Little Misty, so I booked that for my last two nights... if I want to cut the trip a day short, easy. If I want to switch Little Misty to Misty, I'm sure I'll be able to do it last minute.

Any change I want to make will be easy but it feels good knowing I have something booked.

For campsite suggestions on Misty you have to check out PCI Site #17. It has an awesome rock cliff facing west that you can comfortably sit on that's about 20-25 feet up from the water. We spent the entire afternoon jumping off it and bouldering the wall.
We scouted the bottom of the face before attempting either, of course.
Cheers, enjoy your trip!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.