You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/18/2019 8:55 am  #1

6/18/2019 10:34 am  #2

Re: Sleep Pad

Interesting but I’m sceptical that it would be half as durable as a thermarest. I’m currently dragging my two luxury editions and a prolite 3.5 on a rocky beachy vacation and they are withstanding the abuse wonderfully.

6/18/2019 1:53 pm  #3

I'll second the Thermarest comment.  I've owned pads from Big Agnes, Exped and Thermarest and the only ones that have lasted and held up are the Thermarest ones.  The one you are referring to is fairly cheap at $60 but if it doesn't last, I'm not sure it's worth it.  Having said that I certainly have no knowledge of the brand so they may very well make a decent product.

Of course you could always switch to a hammock and use an underquilt and never have to worry about punctures

6/18/2019 8:19 pm  #4

I recently bought a Klymit Static V from Atmosphere on sale (actually bought two of them). I inflated it at home and it feels comfortable and durable enough with 75d fabric, but haven't tested it in the backcountry yet to see if it holds up. But it's super light and extremely compact.

One thing I read about some of the built-in-pillow styles you're looking at is that the pillow section becomes extremely firm when inflated... but that might have been brand specific.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

6/19/2019 10:01 pm  #5

trippythings wrote:

I recently bought a Klymit Static V from Atmosphere on sale (actually bought two of them). I inflated it at home and it feels comfortable and durable enough with 75d fabric, but haven't tested it in the backcountry yet to see if it holds up. But it's super light and extremely compact.

I have two of these as well - we also have a V2 model which is basically the same but marginally lighter. We haven't had a lot of sleeps on them yet (maybe 20 nights apiece) so hard to say how durable they are. Comfort wise, I prefer it over a Thermarest, provided it's not cold. I made the mistake of using one when temps were in the lower single digits and the volume of air in it made for a cold underside - the Thermarest would have been much better in that situation!

6/20/2019 4:16 pm  #6

Thermarest, thermsarest, thermarest.  The extra 50 bucks is worth it - the mattress works beautifully and lasts and lasts and lasts...I have said this before on the forum - I have had one for 20 years and I bought it used at a gear exchange from a woman who did a cross country bike ride from Halifax to Vancouver...and back (yikes!)!!  The thing is still going strong.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.