You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/04/2019 3:02 pm  #1

Walkie Talkies

Does anyone have any experience with walkie talkies or 2-way radios in the backcountry? We're planning a river trip and anticipate that there will be times we're out of shouting distance between the 2 boats. 

But it sounds like the range on your standard Canadian Tire 2-way radios is pretty poor and after that you're getting into a serious investment. Anyone ever used radios before?

6/04/2019 3:10 pm  #2

Re: Walkie Talkies

Took them on a few trips about 15 years ago. I think there had been a decent jump in the range around that time. They worked but for Algonquin tripping they weren't useful enough to become a normal part of the gear. I think part of that was that folks didn't keep them on all the time because of the battery life.

On the other hand on an extended river trip outside of Algonquin last year, they were used daily between the 3 guide boats in our group of 7 canoes. 

6/05/2019 6:45 am  #3

We had several for use with various youth groups and found they work well for the price- average range in the woods was maybe a mile more or less and sound quality was decent. The big drawbacks were the battery life (a solar charger and spares help immensely) and the annoying delay when transmitting. It took a little while before saying uhh before talking became habit!

6/07/2019 12:50 am  #4

I took a pair of the $100 + tax (approx.) Cdn Tire units on the HBT -- hilly terrain -- exactly two years ago: May 31, 2017. My brothers ignored them on the way in, weren't interested and didn't want to learn the controls. On the way out we got separated; brothers went one way (flat and level shortcut to Mew Lake campground) with one walkie and I continued along the rugged trail by myself with the other unit. I actually didn't notice the separation and the sudden silence etc. until I had climbed up to the Mew Lake lookout.

Oops.

Since they didn't know how to operate their unit they could only listen as I explained what must have happened: one way communication sort of thing. Took me about 30 to 45 minutes to double back and reconnect with them. So the things came in handy first time I tried them.

Vaguely related: I have also posted in the thread about the helicopter extraction... I was wondering how exactly the campers who were in distress were able to let the rangers and/or CFB Trenton (air force) know they were in trouble.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.