You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/31/2019 11:21 am  #1

Nadine L. Cow moose and calf

My 13 year old son and I (and our dog) had the absolute pleasure of spending two nights on Nadine last week.  We had the lake to ourselves the first night and most of the day on our layover day.  The best two days weather wise of our 8 day trip too!!  
On the morning of our rest day we were about to go for a paddle around the lake when my dog started to stare at the small island and growled softly.  It was then that I spotted a cow moose on the shore of the island.  
As we paddled over to check her out, we noticed a tiny calf in the bush behind her.  The calf couldn't have been more than 3 or 4 weeks old.  We spent a good half hour watching them interact.   
I took a couple videos of them on the move... Enjoy!

6/01/2019 11:00 am  #2

Re: Nadine L. Cow moose and calf

Thanks so much for sharing those videos.  I showed them to my kids, and I'm pretty sure the "cute" meter broke watching the little one stumble-bumble around while getting out of the water.  That was a pretty special opportunity for you, congrats!

6/02/2019 11:51 am  #3

For whatever reason, I'm not able to see these. However, wanted to say sorry I missed you out there, SwiftPaddler. Got on to Nadine on the Wednesday afternoon and saw your tent pitched on the far shore but didn't see the canoe. I wanted to spend some time exploring the lake later on, but was put off by the on-again, off-again rain and hunkered down under the tarp with a fire for the remainder of the day instead. Glad you had some great down-time on the Lake. Saw you paddle out the next morning but of course you wouldn't have seen me waving behind the trees from my very enclosed campsite lol. Next time. 

6/02/2019 1:01 pm  #4

@dontgroandaddy, I hear ya! I showed them to my daughter when we got home and her ‘cute meter’ was off the charts. Pretty cool experience that I’m glad I got to share with my son.

@paddlerunner,  I can’t see the videos when looking on my phone but can view them from my laptop...not sure why that is??? 
Here’s the link to them on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/68B99KidJyU
https://youtu.be/JbDiHX7BwaU
We did see you come into Nadine on Wednesday afternoon from the Nip. I gave a wave as you paddled out onto the lake. The day started out terrific but I put the tarp up later in the afternoon. The site we had was awesome! How was coming up that hill from the Nip? We came in the other way...Heart Attack Hill is appropriately named. She’s a doozy!!

6/03/2019 3:45 am  #5

@SwiftPaddler thanks for the links. Great videos! What a treat for the three of you . I was getting a little miffed on my trip that I was seeing so much sign of moose without any actual moose encounters. I must have walked past/through and camped near several hundred piles of dung at all levels of freshness, including several that I'd have sworn weren't there on my first pass of a portage only 10 minutes (or whatever) earlier. 

The hill up from the Nip was just very very long, but not steep. I felt for you when I got to Heart Attack Hill the next day (only ended up staying the one night in the end). My recollection was the portage was equally steep and long no matter which direction one was travelling. But it was very obvious I was getting it a LOT easier travelling north than I would have going south. I even had to stop twice to catch my breath going back for the second load carrying nothing!

6/06/2019 9:08 am  #6

Beautiful!!!

6/06/2019 9:27 am  #7

SwiftPaddler wrote:

The calf couldn't have been more than 3 or 4 weeks old.    

I'd venture 3 or 4 days old. Thanks for sharing!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.